Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T - Using Macro's With CNC Mills

Andris Skulte

So last week we took delivery of a new YCI XV1250, and along with it came about 50 lbs of Fanuc manuals. Taking the initiative to better myself and work faster when I need to machine prototypes, I figured now is as good as any time to learn all about the macro programming on the machine.

We don't have any tool height measuring, and it's a standard 3 axis machines. So far, I figured it'd be convenient when finding the center of a part, using an edgefinder (move edgefinder to one edge, hit enter, have macro drive up .5, manually jog to other edge, hit enter, and macro calculates midpoint. Repeat for Y axis...). What do you guys use macros for? There's got to be some time saving that can be done headscratch.gif Thanks for the ideas!

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I use macros for EVERYTHING!!

If I input "M30" it zeros the machine to pallet changing position. If I input an "M6", no matter where it is it will retract Z, then x and Y to the machine Tool Change position. In my program I check to make sure the T# and the H# agree. If not the machine alarms. Ummmm, if the tool is sensed as broken, it will write the T# and the N# to variable #506 and #507 respectively. Ummmmmm, and a few other things that escape me right now.

HTH

A couple of years that I worked in kibbutz making molds on vertical Okuma (big ,taper 50 ,3 gears )I made molds heavily using self-made Macros and for the 4-th axes too .

The programmer was a waste of time ,They not allowed me to use Cimatron so I used macros and wrote programs on the controller .

I was a macro`s geek .

My integral program from which I build new programs contained all sorts of macro starting from checking condition if the spindel tool is not the same as called ending to the speed calculation and milling spheras ,custom drill cycles and so on .

Nowasdays using Mastercam my macros are small things like a couple of programs for typical parts ,and some custom cycles .

I can easily and fast work without them .

But it is a good thing to learn ,generally ,I always read any book that I am able to get and tried most of stuff .

It will give you a nice creativity push .

Welcome to the If Else world :cheers :

Now listenin` Leo Sayer Giving it all away .