Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X6 Installation Problem

Bruce Kanzelmeyer

Just installed X6 yesterday and every time I open a file that I've updated from X5 I get a whole bunch of Referenced File Warnings come up: "The above file name is referenced in the file being opened. A current version of the file can not be found so the previous version file will continue to be referenced...." The files are things like ROUTER_INCH.TOOL-5, and ROUTER_INCH.DEFAULTS-5 and ROUTER_INCH.OPERATIONS-5, etc. Sometimes the MM versions of these file show up. Most often the path of these files is C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ALL USERS\DOCUMENTS.....

A couple months ago I updated the OS on my box to WIN7 PRO(64) from XP (32). When I reinstalled X5 MU1 it appears that I may not have setup the file structure correctly, not putting the Tool libraries, Operations Defaults, etc in the C:\USERS\... folders but keeping them in the C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ALL USERS... folders. So when I migrated these files to X6 the migration utility was looking in the My McamX5 folder (no option to change the Directories to Migrate folder) and now MCX6 is lost every time I open an old file.

Anyone have any thoughts on best way to correct this? Thanks.

You can try deleting or renaming the config folder in mymcamX6 then run a repair install using the install executable.

imo: Creating a fresh config from the default seems to be the safest way to avoid the file mapping issues.

I did copy my key mapping (*.kmp) & toolbar (*.mtb) files from McamX5 with no issues

I updated the custom machine & control defs, posts and tool libraries using the update folder utility and specifying what type of file I wanted to update based on the location of the file or files. If you are using a Mcam part file to define a custom tool you should update that file as well, I keep those files in the tools folder with the libraries.

Remember to copy those custom files to a location to isolate them from the files you do not need to update (no need to update default files).

The problem turned out to be as follows:

When I originally installed MCX5 MU1 last year, my computer was running on XP Pro (32). Over the summer we added memory and upgraded to Win7 (64). Unbeknownst to, me when we reinstalled MCX5, MCam continued to point all the reference files, etc., to the old C:\Documents and Settings\All Users... folder. Then, when I recently upgraded to MCX6 and ran the migration utility and update folders stuff, the Default Machine Settings in the System Configuration somehow were all still pointing to the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users... area, and things got very screwy every time I opened MCX6, or attempted to open a part file. When I opened up the location button on the Default Machine Definitions Page, and pointed to the correct folder, C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\shared mcam6.... for the default machines, I was told there were no valid machine definitions there. That's because it was still looking for .RMD-5/MMD-5 definitions.

In the lower left corner of the Default Machine Definitions page in System Configuration, there is a button called Merge, which allowed me to change the "allowed" default machines to the new MCX6 versions. Then, when I navigated to the correct CNC_MACHINES folder, I was able to select the correct machine definition, and all of the "reference file warnings" that I was receiving have now stopped.

My reseller pointed out that merge button and walked me through the steps to get the config up to speed in MCX6. Yay! We were scratching our heads for a few days, though.