Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Twin turret, twin spindle lathes

mats_asson

Hi all.

Great forum.

I am working on a few lathe posts for our INDEX machines (GS30, GE65 and some G200:s). The G200:s have dual spindles and turrets, y-axis, b-axis and lots of features. Are there any examples of using MC8 with this kind of machines? Posts, example files? I really hope that some of you intelligent people have a few of tips for me on this matter. If you want to see pics of our babies, check out www.mecona.se and click on "Maskiner". Sadly the english part of the site is under updating at the moment because of a recent update, but the swedish part has a few good pics.

Mats

Hi Mats,

Lets get started by saying Im glad Im not you! I also have a couple of twin turret machines and Im not a very big fan of them. I have been working on a post for a Mori Seki ZL-25. I have the wait codes outputting properly(for our use) nut I dont have the proper output for two separate programs. frown.gif

James Meyette and Dave Thomson have been my lifelines in this project. I would be glad to help out in any way I can. Maybe together we can solve all our problems. smile.gif

By the way James and Dave, Im not getting the buffer idea. Im afraid I dont know enough yet to help myself. Im not giving up yet but Im running out of hair. biggrin.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

johnl,

I'm afraid the buffers are a weakness of mine. I know how they work and what they dobut I don't know how to set one up. They are life blood of V8 posts that support sub programming though.

------------------

James Meyette

Well... I started on this project today, and after a few minutes I realized that this requires a bit of planning beforehand. That's why I turned to you guys to maybe get some posts and mc8:s to study. There is a little more involved than with just a single turret lathe. At first I'll probably make a separate post for each turret since on most of our parts we work with the upper turret on the main spindle and the lower turret on the countersp. Sometimes though we have more complicated setups where we use both turrets on one spindle at the same time and I'd like to solve most of this also, given time of course. The b-axis on our upper turret is also a great feature... Programmable parts catcher is another.... using one of the turrets as tailstock a third... with programmable force... etc. etc.... I figure that I'm going to be a real post expert if I ever get all this sorted out smile.gif. And again... I'll appreciate any help I can get from you

Mats

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Mats,

Yes you are correct in stating this will be a project.

My initial advise is to get a Post Processor Book from your local dealer and read it before you even touch a post.

Second, (this one is by far THE MOST IMPORTANT suggestion)actually it's more of a Commandment - Thou Shalt Make One Change At A Time!!!!! This one will save your @$$ in a big way if you mess up.

Third, use Pfe32 editor for post editing. The reason is that when you exit the post after you save your ONE change then you enter the post again, the cursor returns to the place you were last at. Very Helpful.

Fourth, use Misc. Integers for your parts catcher stuff.

Fifth, have fun! wink.gif

------------------

James Meyette

Hi all,

Dave, Rick, myself, and a few others are working on a post for the Mazak Integrex machines that do have 5 axis programming with subspindle (ex.: 200SY).

This post will probably become a standard post from CNC somewhere down the line.

As far as I know, we have been charging the customer for the customizing work done in the post. Bar feeder, sub spindle, part transfer, etc ...

I wouldn't really attempt starting post work with this type of machine, too complicated. It's better off starting with a basic MPFAN style of post on a simple 3 axis VMC, changing certain parameter settings and looking at the results after posting.

But on the other hand, if you like a challenge, this seems to be a good one!

Good luck!

Luc

Having been in industry for most of my life, and now being in edukashion, I have always harped on both my students and my collegues about having to be able to "program it by hand" before using any cadcam system. Since I have little or no experience in programming twin spindle machines (let alone machines with live tooling), it's time for me to take my own advice. Mabye by the time I get comfortable with writing the code by hand, there will be a good post out there for these machines????

(I'm really glad there are people like you out there)

Hi Gang,

This goes out to the folks that charge for post modification. Part of my job requires me to modify posts as they come in the door. I was curious as to what a company may charge for modifications? Granted some mods are just swiches whereas some require real attention. How does one charge for this process? This will give me leverage at review time! wink.gif

Hi again.

Checking in sunday night. Nice to see that so many are interested in my topic. This is not my first post. I have made a post for one three-axis Chiron FZ08S, one 5-axis indexing post for our deckel maho and one two axis rotating tool Index GE 65 lathe. I also have the post processor manual, although a bit old (V6 i think). I also have made quite a few posts for our old smartcam system. I have also have experience with "real" programming with c, c++, pascal and some other stuff. So I think, given as much info as possible, that I will be able to manage making a descent post. I have to say that the example posts and sample mc8 files on the cd does not give very much info on the more advanced use of the mastercam features. That is the main reason I posted my first question. If anyone can give me some examples, hopefully I can give some results back to this group. I think all of us benifits from this.

Thanks

Mats

Hi again

I notice that a little fire icon has appeared beside this thread. Nice!

I have been working on the post for a few hours today and made some progress. I found out that using the aux file for the code for turret 2 is a way to go. I check in the tool change post block if the post is for turret two and if that is the case I set subout=2. That way all output goes to the aux file. By using mergeaux in the peof block I get the turret 2 code at the end of the file. And still all stock recognition and stuff works like it is supposed to. I'll let you know if I find out anything else "revolutionary".

Glad You like our machines lovell...We sometimes laugh at them too... all the way to the bank... wink.gif

Until then...

Mats