Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Which Post/LMD to start with for Haas SL20

kunfuzed

On the Mastercam site, I have the option to download either the Generic Haas TL 2x lathe post and machine def, or the Generic Haas ST 4x MT_Lathe.

Now I just have a very basic SL20 with only 2x, a parts catcher, tailstock, and bar puller.  I tried the TL post, but right away it had the turret home at the lower right, so before I go putting a lot of time squaring the post and machine def away to my liking, which should I proceed with?  So far I don't see any downside to working with the 4x, as the output is looking pretty good.

Thoughts?

In general, I use the Generic Fanuc 4X MT_Lathe Post for all things "4-Axis Lathe".

That particular Post has a ton of features built into it, but you'll only need the basics with a SL-20 Lathe.

The MT_Lathe Post actually has "Machine Definition Logic", to determine "which Axis Combination" you're actually using. In your case, you'll only ever need a single Axis Combination, since you only have 1 turret, and 1 spindle.

The Gen Fan 4X MT_Lathe Post can support up to 2 spindles, and 2 turrets, with up to 4-axes moving simultaneously.

Although it may be overkill for your particular setup, becoming familiar with the Generic Fanuc 4X MT_Lathe Post is a good idea, as it can serve as a base for just about any 4-Axis lathe on the market.

I'm putting a bunch of my old online classes up on YouTube in the next couple of weeks. One of these classes was called "MP 201", and this class covered "how to configure the Generic Fanuc 4X MT_Lathe Post, and use Pickoff/Cutoff/Barpull Operations". (Also, I have a 2-part "Intro to Lathe" that covers a bunch of useful info about setting up Stock, Tools, Holders, Etc. for the Mastercam Lathe Product. Try searching "MP 101", "MP 201", and/or "Colin Gilchrist", to find my videos...

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

In general, I use the Generic Fanuc 4X MT_Lathe Post for all things "4-Axis Lathe".

That particular Post has a ton of features built into it, but you'll only need the basics with a SL-20 Lathe.

The MT_Lathe Post actually has "Machine Definition Logic", to determine "which Axis Combination" you're actually using. In your case, you'll only ever need a single Axis Combination, since you only have 1 turret, and 1 spindle.

The Gen Fan 4X MT_Lathe Post can support up to 2 spindles, and 2 turrets, with up to 4-axes moving simultaneously.

Although it may be overkill for your particular setup, becoming familiar with the Generic Fanuc 4X MT_Lathe Post is a good idea, as it can serve as a base for just about any 4-Axis lathe on the market.

I'm putting a bunch of my old online classes up on YouTube in the next couple of weeks. One of these classes was called "MP 201", and this class covered "how to configure the Generic Fanuc 4X MT_Lathe Post, and use Pickoff/Cutoff/Barpull Operations". (Also, I have a 2-part "Intro to Lathe" that covers a bunch of useful info about setting up Stock, Tools, Holders, Etc. for the Mastercam Lathe Product. Try searching "MP 101", "MP 201", and/or "Colin Gilchrist", to find my videos...

Thanks Colin!  I look forward to finding some of your class vids,  I actually went to one of yours up in Auburn WA like ten years ago. Learned a lot... but also forgot a lot. 😂

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

Cool vids Colin!!

I watched a webinar  of yours just before, interesting stuff this MP.dll stuff.