Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Chaining defaults

TERRYH

We are currently using 2019 and we do a lot of engineering changes to existing molds and such where we create wireframe boundaries to keep the tool in a specific area. when we create these boundaries we analyze the chain to make sure its a constant chain and closed the default setting is .0001 if I go into the configuration and change the tolerance to .001 will that affect anything else or would I be safer to just leave it default. 

chaining.PNG

1 minute ago, TERRYH said:

We are currently using 2019 and we do a lot of engineering changes to existing molds and such where we create wireframe boundaries to keep the tool in a specific area. when we create these boundaries we analyze the chain to make sure its a constant chain and closed the default setting is .0001 if I go into the configuration and change the tolerance to .001 will that affect anything else or would I be safer to just leave it default. 

chaining.PNG

If your chaining tolerances are inconsistent between users it can cause a lot of issues.

it also effects the Chain Select (the Shift + Select geometry or chain from the autocursor toolbar)

other than that I don't think it effects anything other than chaining and Chain Selections.

I have seen problems with too loose of a chaining tolerance when using short segmented geometry, like if we have a chain composed of lines less than .001" then you wouldn't want your chaining tolerance to be any larger than .001", or you basically wouldn't want your chaining tolerance any larger than the smallest line segment in the chain, if your segments of the geometry being chained are shorter than your chaining tolerances it will cause trouble.