Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Reverse engineered part problem

Brian Jung

Good morning Mastercam universe.

I have a conundrum..

We have a part that I need to reverse engineer via points taken from a part using a CMM.

Unfortunately our CMM cannot trace a part and compensate for the ruby diameter...

Its a simple yoke, nothing fancy. So I took the points generated by the CMM, popped them into Mastercam... used auto spline to join the points. From there I need to generate a solid model ...simple right?   No so fast, I needed to offset the wireframe to compensate for the ruby diameter. Now here's my issue, after offsetting the wireframe, my part has gone from one nice clean chain, into 1872 segments that for the life of me I cannot generate a decent solid model from. 

Am I missing something here?

1 minute ago, Brian Jung said:

Good morning Mastercam universe.

I have a conundrum..

We have a part that I need to reverse engineer via points taken from a part using a CMM.

Unfortunately our CMM cannot trace a part and compensate for the ruby diameter...

Its a simple yoke, nothing fancy. So I took the points generated by the CMM, popped them into Mastercam... used auto spline to join the points. From there I need to generate a solid model ...simple right?   No so fast, I needed to offset the wireframe to compensate for the ruby diameter. Now here's my issue, after offsetting the wireframe, my part has gone from one nice clean chain, into 1872 segments that for the life of me I cannot generate a decent solid model from. 

Am I missing something here?

Did you use offset chains?

Alternatively you can always chain a toolpath around the part, with a tool matching the offset of your radius, then save the geometry using backplot.

image.thumb.png.c6b5ed69998f5526b5816614c77861ab.png

It's also important to note that the backplot has to be played to the end in order to save the geometry.

1 hour ago, Thee Kid™ said:

Did you use offset chains?

Yes. 

6 minutes ago, Thee Kid™ said:

Alternatively you can always chain a toolpath around the part, with a tool matching the offset of your radius, then save the geometry using backplot.

image.thumb.png.c6b5ed69998f5526b5816614c77861ab.png

It's also important to note that the backplot has to be played to the end in order to save the geometry.

I'm not needing to toolpath the part at all. I need a solid model generated true to part form to be used for stress analysis. 

1 minute ago, Brian Jung said:

Yes. 

I'm not needing to toolpath the part at all. I need a solid model generated true to part form to be used for stress analysis. 

image.png.ea43c5c090b3f31012864638ba98151f.png

When you save from backplot the geometry is stored on the level you place in the field..

8 minutes ago, Newbeeee™ said:

Can't remember the command now - simplify arc???

simplify spline, there is also break many.

Just now, Colin Gilchrist said:

Create Curves Spline.

Chain the "offset" geometry. The system will generate a "new spline" from the offset lines. (be sure it is set to "delete" the original geometry.)

So, after you offset the chain, use that command to generate a new "fresh" spline from that data.

Spline from Curves?

image.png.4004dabd930e088cf5cb68abb87c1ac9.png

You could just create the solid with the original over sized geometry. Then do another extrude with the oversized geometry, click advanced tab, check thin wall, pick the direction to go inside the geometry, now add the thickness of your ruby. It will cut the outside of the part to the correct size you wanted with your original clean geometry.

• Like 2