Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Camplete help needed

43 minutes ago, Bmorekirk2279 said:

You lost me with that one lol. I don't see 19700 anywhere? I apologize for my ignorance.

Those are in the fanuc control. You set those to the actual trunion values and ideally would match Camplete

So yes your indicated position would go there

• Thanks 1

To make CAMplete work, you technically don't need to move the Trunnion in CAMplete at all.

This is because the output from CAMplete for the NC Code, should not change in any way. This is because we are outputting "Dynamic NC Code", which simply relies on the "Center of Rotation Values", being accurately set in the 31i-B5 control. Although the CAMplete setup doesn't need to change; you must calibrate the Center of Rotation Parameters on your machine. This can be done manually (very time consuming), or with the Axiset Macros from Renishaw. (My preference, by far.)

If your machine was optioned with the Probing Package (Tool Probe + Spindle Probe + Axiset), then you will need to do the following:

• NOTE: Axiset is both a "set of Macros" which are installed on your machine, and also a "kit" which should come with a Calibration Sphere, mounted on a magnetic base, and a an accurate "shim", typically 0.5mm thick. The Spheres are typically "19mm" in diameter, but will come with a certificate, showing the precisely measured diameter of the sphere. If 19mm is "nominal", you might have a diameter of 19.00032, or 18.99965, but these values should be in Metric, and measured very accurately. You will also need a "Master Gauge Tool". Typically, these are "solid tool tapers, with a cylinder projected from the gauge point of the tool. The tip is ground (often to a length of 5.000x inches, and a diameter of .500x, nominal numbers. But your Master Gauge Tool could also be Metric. I've seen them with 100.00x mm lengths, and 20.00x mm diameters. For example, 100.005 mm long, with 19.996 mm diameter.) I don't believe the "Axiset Kit" from Renishaw, comes with the Master Gauge Tool. You'd need to purchase a BT30 Master Gauge Tool separately, unless you were supplied with one.
  1. Calibrate your Tool Probe (use a master gauge tool, edit the Settings Macro with the gauge tool values, then run position your Gauge Tool about 10mm (.375") above the stylus, and run the Calibration Macro Program in MDI. [You pass Arguments (variables) on the Macro Call Line, to pass data to the Macro Program.] This routine calibrates the Tool Probe only.
  2. Calibrate your Spindle Probe > There should be a Macro for calibration of the Spindle Probe, using the Calibration Sphere. (O7600?) This will be listed in the documentation from Renishaw. You position your Probe Tip about 10mm (.375") above the sphere, and run the REN*SPHERE*CAL program.
  3. Run Axiset for the B-Axis > After calibration, you should mount the Calibration Sphere in the +X+Y quadrant of the TWA (using the center of the rotary platter as the Zero reference for XY). Mount the stem of the Mag Base, so it is angled at 45 degrees, (back towards the rotary center point). Mount an empty USB Memory Stick into the control, and run the program to "find and set the B-Axis center point". This will update 2 of the 4 values we need to set.
  4. Run Axiset for the C-Axis > this will measure the center of the sphere at 4 different 90-degree positions, and will find the other 2 of 4 COR values.

Note: by default, the Axiset Macros are configured to only allow a the COR values to be different, by about 0.008". If your table has moved more than about 0.01" (which it obviously has!), then you'll need to open up this tolerance. It is also advisable to try and set "approximate" XY positions (sweep the platter in XY, then convert the Machine Coordinate from Inches to Metric, and enter the 19700 and 19701 parameters "by hand". The Z-Axis parameter (19703), shouldn't change that much, if you're just shifting the TWA trunnion position...

If this sounds a little too complex, I'd highly recommend calling Renishaw, and getting a Renishaw Apps Engineer to come out and train you how to calibrate the systems, and run Axiset.

I typically recommend running Axiset weekly, but you'll also need to run it if conditions change drastically (temperature, for example), or if the Table gets moved/bumped.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
43 minutes ago, Rocketmachinist said:

Colin, I didn't know you work for Phillips Federal now. We use you guys all the time. The guy Dave (I think that's his) from the machine activation phone number is awesome. He's gotten me up and running in no time.

That's great to hear! Are you a Federal Customer, or do you deal with the Commercial division? (Same company, but our work is pretty separate). I'm glad to hear about Dave giving you great service. I'll be sure to mention the compliment to him. We love hearing great feedback like that. (But we of course also want to hear if you aren't happy, so we can make it right!)

I joined Phillips Federal the 1st of November, so it is my first week. So far, it is a fantastic place to work, but also a lot to take in. I'm happy to be working with Haas again, a brand I really know well. I'm leading a team of Applications Engineers, and going to be working to upgrade our training offerings, and also do some cross-training with our Service Department, to help everyone become more well-rounded. I want our Service Guys to know some Apps stuff, and vise-versa.

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, Bmorekirk2279 said:

I'm waiting on someone from methods to come in and show me the axiset. I went ahead and dialed everything in. X ended up being off .043.  My question. The 19700, 19701, 19702 parameters... what exactly are these numbers and where are they referenced from?

19700 - 19705, are Metric Values, measured from the Machine Home Positions. 

19700 & 19701 are the XY center positions of the center of the Tilt Axis.

19702 is the Z position of the Tilt Axis. Distance from the Spindle Gauge Line, to the centerline of the B-Axis, measured along the Z-Axis.

Finally, 19703 is the 'shift' in X, between the centerline of the Rotary Platter and the  X-Centerline of the Tilt Axis (19700).

For a Trunnion Table; only 4 of the 6 parameters are truly necessary.

These Parameters (19700-19703) are used for a BC Trunnion configuration. If your machine is AC, then it would use 19700-19702, plus 19704.

Some builders actually use an offset between the Z position for the Tilt Axis, and the Z position of the Platter face, but not Methods (Often plus or minus 50 millimeters.)

So, just measure the values in Inches (using the Machine Coordinates, and an indicator for XY, and a Master Tool + Gauge Block to measure Z), then multiply the Inch results by 25.4, to get the Metric values. Measure as accurately as possible. 

Measuring these values accurately requires a Calibration Sphere, mounted on a Magnetic Base.

Typically, I set BC at Machine Zero, mount the sphere in the X+Y+ Quadrant, then measure the sphere center at C0, C90, C180, and C270. I record all 4 positions in Work Offsets.

Then I make 4 additional measurements > B45 C0, B45 C180, B90 C0, B90 C180.

These measurements allow me to construct two different 3-point arcs. One through B0 C0, B45 C0, and B90 C0, and the other through B0 C180, B45 C180, and B90 C180.

I connect a line through the centers of both arcs, which is pretty close to the true XYZ center of tilt. This point gets loaded into 19700-19703. 

3 minutes ago, Bmorekirk2279 said:

Is "center of tilt axis" the same as COR?

The issue with "Center of Rotation", is you have 2 of them on every Trunnion. It is not a static point. You have a center of tilt, and a center of rotation (rotary platter). There is always an offset between the two axes, which must be accounted for.

Center of Tilt is the B-Axis, and Center of Rotation is the C-Axis.

We're talking about the same thing, but I'm trying to relay that there is a bit more to the concept, if you want to fully understand it.

• Like 1

The final thing that "ties this all together", is your Work Offset.

The COR/COT values tell the machine where the BC center is. The Work Offset tells the machine "where the part zero is", and TWP/TCPC allow the table to tilt, and/or rotate, while still keeping the Zero Position "locked onto the part".

Setting the 19700-19703 parameters is only necessary, if you are actually using G68.2 & G43.4.

For this all to work properly, you must have COR/COT set accurately, must have properly formatted NC Code, must  have accurate Tool Length Offsets, and must set an accurate Work Offset position. 

The fanuc parameters are more important, Camplete uses them for the simulation so if your getting super close to the machine parts.

We always cut a test block on 5 sides with two holes 180 degrees apart. Then you can set the tool height by measuring the width. Then check from 1 face on each side for one direction and the top face to the hole for the other direction

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Bmorekirk2279 said:

I think we are on the right track. When I run axiset do I need to have my b axis at machine 0 or should the platter be indicated flat first?

You need both rotaries at Machine Zero position. But the platter should also be "flat" when swept with an indicator. 

I'd recommend contacting Methods for some guidance on the proper procedures, because they can vary a bit based on your particular brand of rotary table. The following is what I used for a Tsudokoma Table.

Generally, you would set #1006.0 = 1, for both B & C Axes. (These are the 'Zero Return' values. When set to '1', these tell the machine to "set Zero without moving", when the #1815.4 bit gets flipped.)

After changing #1006.0 (might actually be #1006.1, I'm only going by memory here), you need to go into Handle Jog, and zero the B-Axis using your indicator. (Machine B-Axis will be some small value, like -0.046 or 0.031.)

Once the platter is flat, based on your indicator sweep. you go to the 'B' row, of Parameter 1815.4 (bit #4, zero bit is the rightmost column), and change the value of Bit 4 (APZ), to '0'. This will immediately throw the machine into the Alarm state, and you may have to press the 'System' key, to get back to the Parameters. Now, change the APZ bit back to '1'. Then hit E-Stop, and fully power-down the machine. Be sure to flip the breaker off in back for at least 30 seconds. 

Now, power up the machine like normal, and you've just "zeroed" the B-Axis. (Double check with an indicator. I like to move B to around 20 degrees, perform a Zero Return, and check the platter with an indicator again.)

Once you have zeroed the B-Axis, you should be good to go for running both Axiset Macros.

Technically, you don't need to flip APZ for the C-Axis. Just do a Zero Return, before Calibration. 

Be sure to check the Axiset "Setting Macro", because there is a Tolerance Variable that determines if Axiset is allowed to change the 19700-19703 parameters. The default tolerance is 0.2mm, or about 0.008". I would change it to a large number, then change it back to the default, once you've successfully set the COR and COT values (19700-19703).