Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Sending CNC files to HAAS

jps

Hi guys.. there seems to be many smart individuals around here so maybe someone can help me out. Two questions:

I need to send files to our HAAS controller using the Ethernet port. What program is used to do this? Is this possible?

I already sent a file via RS232. In doing so, I set up the haas controller to wait for the file. Is there anyway to remote send the file without putting the haas in a 'waiting' mode?

Thanks a million.

If you have the Ethernet port on the Haas, you will need an Ethernet cable, and someone to set up a 'network' to your computer. Than in 'Screen-Configure-Files' set your NC files path to the drive and folder on the Haas. Now whenever you post an NC file it will post directly into the Haas control ready to use.

Much faster than RS 232 cable.

HTH

Well let me see if I can be of help here. This is just my opinion and not fact so use it at your own caution.

With the ethernet you do not need any thing set on the machine to send files and you can sned files to the hard drive while the machien running like any computer. With the RS-232 unless someone knows soemthing I don't you have to press the button on the controller to put it in wait mode. The longer the cable the lower you have to set the baud rate juts like what the books says.

You do not need any special software to send files to the HAAS machines. Any noraml TCP/ICP folder sharing set-up will work but only on a Win 98 or Dos compability system I am Thinking XP-pro would work but not Win2000 it's security settings by defualt make it damn near impossible to do. We have set-up a server computer in the shop that has Win 98 on it. When then have a folder on that computer that we post all programs to from the other 2 computers that we do Mastercam on and soon will be 3 and do this with no problems. The tricky part is getting all the ip adresses and domain names right if you are on a Nowell type system. If you are doing a peer to peer system you will need to get the correct IP Address for the machine or machines to be set-up on and then go from there. You will then need to make the sever computer the computer that both machine can directly connect to for The way HAAS want is done for their paper work. Not really needed but seems to do funky things if they do not have a name to go look for. You will then hook up the ethernet cable to your local ethernet and then you will configure the machine as users on that server computer and give them the premissions they need for the security settings.

If you are not set-up on a network then you just need to purchase a local 4 port hub or a wireless hub but would need a termainal computer at each machine to do so but keeps from having to run wires all over the building.

If you look on the sever computer in your network neighborhood you will see the machine or machines as the names you gave them in the set-up there. You will then click on those machines and should see the folders. If not you then need to map the network to those folders creating the shortcuts to them. I have the HAASMILL folders short cuts as well as the NCPRGOGRAMS folders short cuts on the desktop on the server computer so it always just a click away. I have our system set-up as job folders using the job numbers and then go from there. I have also set-up out post to print out the network location of such files so the operators know from which machine the files came and to which machine and folder the files was posted in. If you want to run files of the Harddrive no problem just need to strip all Non-code stuff and good to go. I have made a Misc 6 switch for doing this. There is a Thread about how to d othis I made just search the forum for it. We are now doing this for any files over 2mb to save time with files transfer from Hard drive on the machine to the memeory of the machine where as 16 mb is your limit and we have nc files upward of 50 mb sometimes. You can also run files over the network from the server but I choose not to this for as we always seem ot get our computer shut down by someone playing in the breaker boxes on the wall. curse.gifcurse.gif all I will say about that.

If your computer can see the machines and the folders then you can just create a shortcut to that folder and post program right from Mastercma into the machine but I have not found away and HAAS does not know of a way to this with Win 2000. I have tried dos premssion I have tried mapping I can ping the machine and see the machine in the dos prompt but not in a regular session of windows.

Sorry for the lenghty reply but try to give all I can think of to help you from going down the avergating road I went when we did the ehternet on our machines. One more thing once you have everything working perfect write it down and save it in a safe place. For some reason if they do service everything just get erased and real pain trying to remember it all from memory if they forget to back all your data up. banghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gif

HTH

quote:

One more thing once you have everything working perfect write it down and save it in a safe place. For some reason if they do service everything just get erased and real pain trying to remember it all from memory if they forget to back all your data up.

+ 10000