Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mold Plus for electrodes ?

dnkmartin

Hello,

I would like to know if anyone in this forum

has had a chance to pull out a few electrodes

with Mold Plus?

I spend about 60% of my time programing

electrodes & the way I have to do it I spend

3/4 of my time just drawing the darn thing!

First let me say that I work in a mold shop

& when I start a new job the designers where

I work will give me a mold split consisting

of a core & cavity surface files complete with wire frame. The mold split are done with

Pro-e.

I get my surface file set up, centered &

start programing & machining. When everything

is done there are usaly some areas that I

could not cut for one reason or another.This

is where the whole job starts to be a big pain in the neck. IT'S TIME TO MAKE THE ELECTRODES!.

I take the surface file i'm working with

flip it upside down & use these surfaces

to make my electrodes.I creat a rectangle

where the trode will be & coppy the rectangle

suffaces & some of the wire frame I need

to another level & start triming the wire frame to the rectangle , use what surfaces

I can & remake the rest.

As you can see by the length of this post

I'm having a huge problem creating some of these electrodes. The more complex the part

the more complex the electrode.Programing

the trode is not the problem. Just getting the darn thing drawn correctly is.

I hope I didnt bore all of you to death with

my problem, but if anyone out there uses

Mold-Plus for electrodes please reply & let me know if you like it.

Also are there anyone offering classes on

Mold-Plus in the southeast U.S.A. that could

train me in the use of the electroder maker

part of Mold-Plus?(Atlanta area)

Thanks for your time,

dnkmartin

I use moldplus to make electrodes and most importantly I use it to assist with parting surfaces, it works good for that function and saves me a lot of time. I have only had it for a few months and expect to understand it more in the next couple of months, I like it so far. Our Mastercam dealer teaches a class, maybe you could check your dealer or dealers in your area. Good luck!

Hi

I work in a mold shop in Massachusetts and am also interested in mold plus for the same exact reason electrode making can put you to sleep it is very tedious. Let me know how you make out and I'll do the same if we get it first. I want to get a demo from our dealer but getting the committee together is a task in it's self. I down loaded the demo from their site but they won't let you do the most vital part, see what the electrode looks like .The essential part for me would be to see how the surfaces react to trimming and more importantly extending. The way we make electrodes is to cut them beyond the actual surface areas that exist in the part for better edges. Although the demo version falls short I believe from me initial evaluation this product could save our company tons of money in time and speed up our all-important deliveries.

Sincerely

Bob Minchella

[email protected]

------------------

• 2 weeks later...

guy,s ya really wanna get the moldplus stuff for trodes I teach a class on this stuff in michigan and was a mold maker for 15 years ... You guys are working way to hard.. They have a add on module for moldplus call electrode maker and it will save you prob 70-80% on your time preping the models for machining ..

Cheers Chuck

training manager

Axsys inc.