Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Cimco Edit Crashing

MetalMarvels

ARRRRGGGGHHHH

Cimco Edit OEM 4.33.23 is crashing and rebooting my computer. I just updated my Nvidia drivers - tried rolling them back to no effect. Even deinstalled and reinstalled Cimco Edit. Also completely tore out the video card and drivers and started from scratch - same deal. Naturally I have about 5 jobs piling up. mad.gif

Running WinXP Pro - up to date, MC 9.1 SP2 with all updates. All my other programs seem to be fine...... After the reboot, I get a windows error message that it recovered from a serious error - due to an undetermined device driver. I have rolled everything back - still no joy - any ideas?

Hi,

Could you please provide additional information regarding the crash.

1) Does et happen when you launch the editor, or at random when working with the editor.

2) Does it happen when you launch the editor outside Mastercam (i.e. double click on the editor executable CIMCOEdit.exe in the CEdit folder).

If not, does it crash as soon as you open a file.

If the crash is related to the graphics driver, I would suspect that the editor can start, but you might be unable to open any files.

Here are some possible causes:

A) Driver bug

The part of the program that interacts with the display driver (the rendering), has not changed for years, and if the crash is caused by the rendering process, I think the problem is with the display driver. All programs interact with the display driver in a different way, and it might be some little detail that does not work correctly in you current driver, and that we just happen to use. Other programs might still work, however, please keep in mind that NVidia most likely test their drivers with a large number of the most common application (Word, Adobe, ...), however it is unlikely that they test is with CIMCO Edit smile.gif

I would think that your driver rollback should have solved the problem, but something could have escaped the rollback process.

B) Incompatible system dll's.

CIMCO Edit depends on a few generic dll's (like MFC42.DLL, MSVCRT.dLL), and if an update has installed an older version of any ofthese dll's, it is possible that this could cause a problem.

The easiest way to test this, is to reboot the system and start the editor outside Mastercam (as described above). It is important that this is done right after a reboot to minimize the chance that some other application has loaded a "bad" version of the system dll's

To make this check absolutely fool proof, it is necessary to remove the following dll's from the Windows directory and all subdirectories (System32): Mfc42.dll, Msvcp60.dll, Msvcrt.dll

However do not delete them, but move them to a temporary directory, since other applications might depend on them. If you are unable to move one or more of these files, it is because they are already in use. I would not recommend this "procedure" unless you understand the consequences.

If the problem is related to the Mastercam installation, downloading and installing our standalone version could help. After installing the stand alone version, just copy your Mastercam OEM keyfile (from Mcam9CommonEditorsCeditCNCEdit4License.key to C:CIMCOCIMCOEdit4license.key).

If the standalone version works, we have a starting point for locating the problem. Againg, please test right after a reboot.

C) Bug in CIMCO Edit.

If the problem is related to a bug in CIMCO Edit, something on your system (and maybe lots of other systems) is causing a problem for the Editor.

If this is the case, a little more history on which versions you have successfully been running, and which updates you have applied since then would help to narrow it down.

We have received a few reports of other problems related to the latest Mastercam update, but have been unable to reproduce the problem.

Best regards

Tom Mortensen

CIMCO Integration - Development

Ps. kwolf is right, versions 4.33.11-4.33.12 would crash when running renum/find ranges/printing/... and should be avoided.

PPs. I am the primary developer on CIMCO Edit.

An update....

The crash occurrs immediately upon executing Cimco Edit from within MC or stand-alone. However, in an effort to get going again, I switched to the "built-in" MC editor - SAME crash! Regardless of the choice of editor - same crash. Based on this - I would guess that it is NOT the version of editor I am running, but most likely one of the DLL files. I never get as far as seeing an editor open - it simply shuts down the computer in an instant "reboot".

A completely wild-hair diversion is that my 1 GB of memory is FREAKING HOT!!!! I burnt my fingertips on them - that just doesn't seem right..... I am going to invest in some additional cooling in my Comp - cant hurt..

I am off to try some of your suggestions - if I am not heard from for a few hours - I probably augered in...

MetalMarvels,

You had mentioned your memory was HOT. Could it simply be that there's a problem with your memory sticks and replacing them would cure the "crash"? It seems like you would not even have this problem if it were a software issue and you uninstalled the software. FDisk may not fix it if it's faulty memory. I would try to swap the memory sticks from another system before using FDisk. HTH cheers.gif

quote:

I never get as far as seeing an editor open - it simply shuts down the computer in an instant "reboot".

Looks like you have the setting enabled that automatically reboots the computer upon a BSOD. Try disabling this feature by going System Properties -> Advanced Tab -> Settings button for "Startup and Recovery" and uncheck "Automatically Restart". Launch CIMCO Edit and make a note of a file and/or error type that is mentioned in the BSOD. Don't worry about writing down memory addresses; those don't matter. You want to look for a filename...a SYS, DLL, VXD, EXE or something else and an error type (usually all in capital letters towards the top). This will tell us which file is causing the crash.

Tom,

Thanks for the reply.

I can send you the file which caused crash in 4.33.12. Try "Find X/Y/Z Range" and you'll see it. Uninstall-reboot-reinstalling-reboot didn't help. I just downgraded to 4.33.07 and it worked.

It showed me the results but as soon as I select OK it crashed.

Tested on Athlon 1800/2000xp-XPSP1-GF3/4-ASUS A7V333

Just tell me your email and so I send it.

• Haha 1

I gave your suggestion a try, Bullines. Unfortunately it only gives me a ***STOP: 0x0000007F with no files mentioned. My system has gotten progressively less stabile and I no longer have any sound output - although all the parts check out ok. I did an intensive mem check and had no failures. At this point I can't afford to spend much more time. I have backed everything up and am now going to blow the system away - completely and rebuild it.

OK - I have MC back with Cimco Edit working correctly. I formatted the C drive and reloaded from scratch, got a new computer case that has a zillion fans (the quiet ones), the memory is running barely warm now, ran full memory tests, checked them out in another computer, and am otherwise about ready to fall over.

BUT I CAN PROGRAM!!!!!

Now if I only had some sound - can't figure that one yet - been through help and everything

I am using a brand-new SoundBlaster Audigy LS, there is no onboard sound driver (not even an external output for a MB speaker). I have checked out the new sound card on another XP system along with the speakers - no problem. I have run the Soundblaster diagnostics - the card comes up as a pass - just no sound. I have checked all the settings for headphones/speakers/digital output/mute/volume, I have run through the "windows help" several times. I have checked for IRQ conflicts and harware issues - everything comes up good and no issues. JUST NO SOUND!!! My USB heaphones work - I get sound there. I even swapped around to different PCI slots to no avail - included removing everything but the sound card and the video card (in an AGP slot). All I can come up with is that I must have fried something ont he motherboard.....

So far - it all shows up ok in the device manager with no conflicts or problems noted - that is just one of the things that puzzles me....

I noted that the sound card shares IRQ 3 with the USB 2.0 card - but it didn't seem to matter when I pulled the USB card out.

All in all, Cimco Editor was never at fault - it just used a file (who knows which one) that was apparently corrupted, missing, or the wrong version - possiblly as a result of the overheated memory. A full reload of everything from scratch has cured the crashes.