Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

turning tool offsets on a mu6300 5 axis trunnion with turning function

lowcountrycamo

We have a 5 axis vertical trunnion mill that has a turning function.  The book has some info about mcodes but not specifics on offsets.

I have asked before about programming this type of setup.  Greg Williams and others have helped me on that.   We are about ready to run this part.  When setting tooling offsets are you guys using tool probing for length and diameter or taking a cut and offset from that.   Sorry for the basic questions but I am unfamiliar with this type of turning.  

Thanks 

steve austin

It is really no different that a VTL if the table has to be locked to run the turning mode. Some machines will allow the table to rotate to a position that is then locked. The offset would be a trail and error process for me. If the programming is diameter then I would expect the offset to respect that process to adjustments, but I would test. The same thought goes if it is programmed radial. The next thing is can you flash the tools in the spindle to use them for cutting OD and ID? Does the process have to be done Macro for the turning profile or can it be programmed like a standard lathe with G and M codes? Have you done test cuts and checked everything out before going for broke on a part?

Extremely Important!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How do you control the spindle limit? What is the code for that? This one thing should be ingrained into everyone and anyone that is going to touch that machine. I was running some parts on a machine and new guy didn't like me limiting the RPMS on my program and proceeded to remove them. I was reviewing the setup and program before it was to be run.  I asked him about ti and he told me was not needed. I stopped him right there and told him I am responsible for your safety and the safety of the machine and your part. If you ever do that again either you will be fired or I will no longer do business with this company. He got all butt hurt and complained. His manager who I had runs in with I first started told him why I did what I did and do it the way I do it. He apologized a few days later and admitted it was a stupid thing to do.

Another thing is check balance of the parts and the setup. I have seen some parts turning too fast become oblong on these type of machines. We had to slow them down to get a good round bore on some thin wall aluminum housings.

Crazy^millman, thank you for the advise.  I take your warning about rpm limits!  I will look for that procedure.   We have purchased a Postabilty post for this machine and will run a test part to verify basic turning sizes.  On this mill I can rotate(flash?) the tool about the spindle center for od/ id and basic g and m codes will work.    I have been tasked with setting this up as it is so different than what we are accustomed to. 

thanks