Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mill Turn 3d Tool Setup for Coromant Capto® miniturret

Hello everyone, I am wondering how others setup these mini turret tools in mastercam. I am currently running a mazak integrex and have successfully used this tool in conversational programing and decided to learn how to use in mastercam. My question is how others define the tool/program with it when I have one tool at 0deg and the other at 180deg?

The way I was going to set this up was have my 0 deg tool defined as T30.01 (rough) in my control data and then have a t30.02 (finish) defining my 180 deg tool data. In mastercam i am not sure how to have both cutting edges defined under one 3d tool and at separate indexes, is that possible? My current work around idea for this was to have two duplicate 3d tools defined. if anyone has any advise on this it would be greatly appreciated. 

Attached is a picture of my 3d tool for clarification and a test program with the 3dtool

C6-4-SL40 113 150-AX.png

miniturret-test.mcam

Yes this is possible. You need to work with the tool in a defined method always for your machine. There are different methods to use inserted tools and holders. You seem to have chosen the model everything up as one body method verses working with individual holder components. I prefer this process also for defining my Lathe tools. You have define one insert in the tool, but didn't define the other one. That is the process to add the different indexes is to add the insert for each mini turret position. Then in your tool angle page for the Tool Orientation on the machine you have your standard 0 and 180 deg. For the 90 and 270 deg you will have to use other and type it in when you define the two other mini turret positions for the tools. The .01 and .02 is going to be controlled in the Code Expert side of things. Hopefully they port some of these items back into Standard MT like Lathe does it verses the two operations groups we have to use for programing these machines using MT.

Thank you for sharing the file.

17 hours ago, crazy^millman said:

Yes this is possible. You need to work with the tool in a defined method always for your machine. There are different methods to use inserted tools and holders. You seem to have chosen the model everything up as one body method verses working with individual holder components. I prefer this process also for defining my Lathe tools. You have define one insert in the tool, but didn't define the other one. That is the process to add the different indexes is to add the insert for each mini turret position. Then in your tool angle page for the Tool Orientation on the machine you have your standard 0 and 180 deg. For the 90 and 270 deg you will have to use other and type it in when you define the two other mini turret positions for the tools. The .01 and .02 is going to be controlled in the Code Expert side of things. Hopefully they port some of these items back into Standard MT like Lathe does it verses the two operations groups we have to use for programing these machines using MT.

Thank you for sharing the file.

Thank you for the help, I thought I understood everything you said correctly but seem to be missing something still. I defined a second insert as the top one (180deg) and my simulation shows it indexing, as i use the capto notch for reference. It appears its not referencing the cutting edge correctly when I have it switch to 180, so it then uses my 0 deg tool as a boring bar essentially. I did look at that tutorial as well2.thumb.png.c47ccd1ebc4ba68c1982783616622e8d.png1.png.86110a58c7a0601755c4db9f9093dbfc.png3.thumb.png.7e02177676552400aa2067c3d6626fa7.png

miniturret-test.mcam

I would submit the file to QC (at) Mastercam (dot) com to have one of their experts review it. I don't have any customers using them currently and it has been over a decade since I took one to CNC Software in Tolland, CT  to show them. I made the comment once they supported them they had a good process of using these types of tools. It has come along way since I was programming these machines in X4. 

• Thanks 1