Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

copy and paste a 3d tool path

Copying in the same file. first i pick all the geometry and make a roughing pass, before i could just copy that and edit change to a finish pass and the geometry would still be there i think that was in 2021 but now when i do that the geometry does not stay with it and i have to go back and repick all the geometry. The containment boundary stays but no geometry

That's quite strange that you're losing the geometry as that shouldn't be happening....can't say I can help you there. 

But, I can tell you that you don't have to reselect geometry. With the toolpath folder expanded, right click on geometry and drag and drop it in the desired toolpath's geometry section and a dialogue window will pop and asking you to choose "add", "replace", etc. 

On 12/9/2022 at 10:42 AM, keith tow said:

Copy and paste that toolpath and then just edit but the geometry does not stay with it?

I recommend never using the Copy/Paste method from the "menu" if you right-click and let go to bring up the big menu in the Toolpaths Manager.

Instead, left-click to "select" the operation(s) you want to copy, then Right-Click, and continue holding down the Right Mouse Button, as you "drag a copy of the folder". You'll notice if you continue holding down the button as you drag, that your "Cursor" has become a "little folder icon".

Now, position your cursor on the Operation that you want to copy the operation after, and let go. A little menu with pop-up with 5 choices > Move Before, Move After, Copy Before, Copy After, and Cancel. Choose the option that works for you.

This little "right-click, hold & drag" method works amazingly well, and you can choose between "moving or copying" operations. In addition, having that "Cancel" option can be a savior, because sometimes you can accidentally "drop the operation in the wrong location". Cancel allows you to stop the copy/move, and start over.