Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Level - entities query

cruzila

What is the best way to query a level to see "what" the entities are that are in it? Is there a way to get a list?? I.E. 4 lines, 3 arcs 1 surface, 4 hidden system entities etc. etc.

Also running into this in Opti rough where there seems to be entities selected that I cannot identify. I am seeing entities in the list that are unidentified, hidden or I am just going blind. I am ok with background entities but when they are in a selection for an OP it can be confusing. So far I can just unselect all and start over. Not doing anything especially complicated. But taking apart someone elses program or something highly detailed could be really confusing.

Just hoping there is an easy button or something simple I am missing here.

1 hour ago, cruzila said:

What is the best way to query a level to see "what" the entities are that are in it? Is there a way to get a list?? I.E. 4 lines, 3 arcs 1 surface, 4 hidden system entities etc. etc.

Also running into this in Opti rough where there seems to be entities selected that I cannot identify. I am seeing entities in the list that are unidentified, hidden or I am just going blind. I am ok with background entities but when they are in a selection for an OP it can be confusing. So far I can just unselect all and start over. Not doing anything especially complicated. But taking apart someone elses program or something highly detailed could be really confusing.

Just hoping there is an easy button or something simple I am missing here.

Rule #1 ignore the number of entities listed in al HST toolpaths. It has been buggy for the longest time. Know what you know and stick with what you know not what you see with regards to number of entities. I did as HST-Optirough in 2023 Update 3 and picked one surface for avoidance and 5365 entities showed as picked. I knew it was wrong and moved on. I came back the next day and 1 entity in the same toolpath was now the only one for avoidance. I got tired of reporting this one. Why I say know what you know and use methods to do that. If that means moving them to a separate level, coloring solid faces, making surfaces or whatever method you need to know you not losing your mind then use it. Trying to trust the number of entities as your sanity check will only drive you crazy.

• Haha 1

Another approach is to "turn the visibility of all levels" to "On". (Make all levels visible.)

Then, use the "only display associated geometry" button in the Toolpaths Manager. Then, click on an individual toolpath.

This will "hide" all other geometry, and only display the geometry which is "associated back to that operation".

I like to "select that operation geometry" (regardless of "how you select it"), and then "turn off > display associated geometry". This will leave all entities visible on the screen, but now you've "selected" the associated geometry.

Now, you can press "ALT + E" on the keyboard, and this will temporarily "hide" all unselected geometry, and only leave the geometry which was selected, displayed on your screen.

Now you can examine this geometry, in detail, and decide if you want to move it to another level, or what.

Finally, when you are done, you can now press "ALT + E" again, and then bring all the visible geometry back visible. (Finally, manipulate your level visibility as needed to restore what you want visible on the screen...)

• Like 4