Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Remove Unknown Error

Machinist-R1

Could Mastercam please hire some programmers that realize designating an Error as Unknown doesn't inspire confidence in the software users.  I would rather see some numerical designation so that at least a search for a solution has some relevance.  Unknown Error for every anomalous program interaction is a very poor choice on Mastercam's part.  

• Haha 2

Another good one is "reporting computation error". I'm sure the Parasolid Moduleworks kernel actually returns a very intelligible error message but all of them is wrapped around a single exception catcher and the message is hidden from user. Am I right?

5 hours ago, SlaveCam said:

Another good one is "reporting computation error". I'm sure the Parasolid Moduleworks kernel actually returns a very intelligible error message but all of them is wrapped around a single exception catcher and the message is hidden from user. Am I right?

I would say that is unlikely, Mastercam events for 3rd party/c-hook ops are implemented by the developer of the operation,

exception handling isn't commonly used, I have rarely seen exceptions used in low level c++ production code unless the function being called throws an exception by default, like some stl library functions do, 

also, the translation to many versions makes a lot of error messages and translations hard to maintain, it's a lot easier if your product is only english, french & spanish for example

On 2/28/2023 at 10:01 PM, Machinist-R1 said:

Could Mastercam please hire some programmers that realize designating an Error as Unknown doesn't inspire confidence in the software users.  I would rather see some numerical designation so that at least a search for a solution has some relevance.  Unknown Error for every anomalous program interaction is a very poor choice on Mastercam's part.  

If the file is share-able, you could send it to QC, they can likely give you more information than anyone here

6 hours ago, SlaveCam said:

Most likely no, you are not.  Any specific error messages are carried back across.  This is simply the MW equivalent of "Unexpected Error."    As always, if you can send a file to QC, they can track down the source of the error and provide more information, but most likely it's due to some combination that there is not an error message for.