Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Deburring

Hi All,

Need an advice on how to remove tiny burrs from chamfers, radius and other features from harden tool steel components. Any specific tools you guys using ? or any programming and machining technique that would minimize burr formation at first place. 

Burrs are very small and our polisher is catching it in microscope. And removing manually is not efficient. 

Thanks in advance. 

Something I've had to do in plastics is machine the part, deburring last, then running the finishing tool around the top and side of the deburred edge at high feed to clean it up. For the top be sure to climb mill so you push any persistent burrs into the part to get cut off instead of folding them over the edge. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, sweeden5050 said:

I always like to run my roughing tool 1st, then my chamfer tool, and followed with my finish tool.  This does well at keeping the burr to a minimum. Try looking into weiler deburr brushes. I had lots of success getting all my production parts (Inconel and titanium) burr free. I will attach link.

https://www.weilerabrasives.com/catalog/application/deburring

Those work really well. Just don't try to run them at over 10,000 RPM. Makes one hell of a racket and leaves xxxx all over the machine when they fly apart. 

86114_medium.jpg

On 8/1/2023 at 2:50 PM, Jobnt said:

Something I've had to do in plastics is machine the part, deburring last, then running the finishing tool around the top and side of the deburred edge at high feed to clean it up. For the top be sure to climb mill so you push any persistent burrs into the part to get cut off instead of folding them over the edge. 

Yeah, I've used that strategy before.

Sometimes I just run my chamfering before my finishing, usually when I'm concerned about a burr being pushed by the chamfermill, such as into a finished bore.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

The "newer" deburr tool path in Multiaxis has a great function to allow for "Number of cuts along edges".

This may not solve your problem 100%, although using a high flute ball nose and doing this function may reduce your efforts using handwork.

There is a good video on Youtube, "Deburr Toolpath Enhancements - What's new in Mastercam 2023"

Deburr.GIF

• Like 1