Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Stationary Valve Help!

Aaron Clements

Right after you selected the two smaller slots, did you click the outside diameter of the part? I saw the O.D. go highlighted at 0:08 with the slots righhttt before you went into the toothpath settings.

you may need to upload the mcam file so we can open it up and check it out, there are just so many variables and any one thing could throw it off. Honestly I've never used slot mill, I tend to just use a pocket cycle or dynamic mill so I may not be the best person to help either.

• Thanks 1
31 minutes ago, Kyle F said:

Right after you selected the two smaller slots, did you click the outside diameter of the part? I saw the O.D. go highlighted at 0:08 with the slots righhttt before you went into the toothpath settings.

you may need to upload the mcam file so we can open it up and check it out, there are just so many variables and any one thing could throw it off. Honestly I've never used slot mill, I tend to just use a pocket cycle or dynamic mill so I may not be the best person to help either.

how do i upload the mcam file?

Im about to try the pocket mill and see what that does. But ill also double check the O.D!

32 minutes ago, rgrin said:

You have too much stock to leave on walls I bet. Looked like .05" on walls and .05" on floor...

32 minutes ago, rgrin said:

You have too much stock to leave on walls I bet. Looked like .05" on walls and .05" on floor...

update: that was the problem :D. 

• Like 3

I agree with Kyle F in that I don't see slot mill used very often. Typically for a feature like that if tool is close to the size, I would use a 2D Contour set to Ramp it since it would be gentler on the tool. Otherwise a 2D Dynamic with a helix ramp in to rough it and a 2D Pocket to finish it.

Just a few ways to skin this cat.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2
14 minutes ago, rgrin said:

I agree with Kyle F in that I don't see slot mill used very often. Typically for a feature like that if tool is close to the size, I would use a 2D Contour set to Ramp it since it would be gentler on the tool. Otherwise a 2D Dynamic with a helix ramp in to rough it and a 2D Pocket to finish it.

Just a few ways to skin this cat.

I've been doing a lot of multiaxis parts on small dovetail fixtures lately, and 2d ramp has been one of my best friends. with typical dynamic milling (high axial, low radial contact) I've had issues with chatter + screaming during roughing. ( I assume from high helix flutes with too much contact trying to pull the part upwards) but quick change to 2d ramp around the o.d. relieved all the tool pressure and it's been a go-to move ever since.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2