Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Alu 6061-T6 The 1st time

You are right Winnie, but in the past is was necesary to ordrer another 50% stock for the mill department to complet a ordrer, it seems to changes dramatecly though after my buddy JT and me have got involved. We were raised with the terms that you dont have the privlige to scrap 5 pcs. before you have a good one biggrin.gif

Lars

Lars, good analogy. As a general rule, on moderate to complex parts with in-expensive stock pricing, I request a minimum of 1 extra ("setup part") per operation to be performed. (i.e. 6 operations = 6 extra parts) This includes runs from 1-offs up to small runs of 50 or more. Depending on the part, it may be wise to add a small percentage, 2-4%, of extra parts in case of broken tooling etc for production runs.

Also, by the end of the first 20 or so parts, you should have a good idea of what may require replacing during the run, (not usually an issue with alum), or even better, places where you can optomize the cycle times to bring it closer to the target. (Most) bosses love this!

I say 'most bosses' because I worked for a guy that, after changing an 7+ minute per part cycle time, with 4 operations in vises, to less than 2 minutes per part in 2 operations on a repeat run of hundreds of parts, and the shop foreman had to literally drag the owner out to see what I had done and acknowledge it. Trevor knows who I'm talking about.. wink.gif

Keep us updated on the progress.

[ 05-30-2004, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: Rekd ]

quote:

As a general rule, on moderate to complex parts with in-expensive stock pricing, I request a minimum of 1 extra ("setup part") per operation to be performed. (i.e. 6 operations = 6 extra parts)

God, that's the best thing I've read all day... Even the pro scrap em'!

I always feel like a chump when I "progressivly" scrap parts as they get flipped....and it really sucks with small runs...scraping more than keeping! I've got my fingers crossed now though, I've got a virgin part well under way with three different setups and all's well...... smile.giffrown.gif

In my first place of work they hardly had more then 1-2 spare parts no matter how much setups

you have . frown.gif

The material was costly and we got it from a client

Many times at the end you do not have spare part at all .

I learned quickly how not to scrap .

It helped me when I became moldmaker .

But in production I think what Rekd said is a right approach .

Winnie teh moldmaker

I've been in both boats. With molds you can't afford to scrap one. (It takes a REAL SERIOUS F-UP to scrap a mold completely) Things take longer and the Oh Sh!t factor is MUCH higher, therefore the ulcers are more prevelant as well.

Expensive material and/or customer supplied material is a bit different depending on the material. I will almost ALWAYS run the setup parts out of alum/wood/renshape etc first when It's possible, then run the other stuff.

In molds and with Mastercam I never run

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

.... almost ALWAYS run the setup parts out of alum/wood/renshape

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Like Rekd mentioned .

That`s the beauty of Mastercam ,it is much safer and stable then anithing I worked before .

Winnie teh in Backplot I trust !

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guy's,

Got the job finished up today, man that material runs like butter, now things wemt crazy the last week, and suddenly I had a huge work load on the Minimill, so I re-calculated my feeds and speeds, and ran the job in our Fanuc Robodrill (15.000 rpm) I had never used the machine before, and have not touched a Fanuc screen since I ran a Fanuc wire 10 years ago, what a pain those controls are. Well back to the subject, I ended up running my 1/2 3 flute endmill with 9569 rpm and F55. with .125 depth of cut, and I could probely have been much more agresive, Thanks for all the help, despite most of your help was pointed at the MiniMill it gave me a great feeling what to do on the Robodrill.

Thanks so much guy's.

cheers.gif

Lars

cmr,

I do not know what kind of horse power the robodrill has.

My humble opinion when comparing the Haas Mini Mill with a Fanuc Robodrill, is that the 2 machines are quit different. The Robodrill is nothing close to a toolroom mill, it is a production machine, and as the name sayes, it is good at drilling, but I would never set up a piece of steel and mill with anything over 1/4 endmill. We have had a total of 3 machines, normally running production jobs in aluminium and copper. In my opinion the Robodrill is 75 % as rigid as a Haas Minimill, and that is not much. But it have worked good for us runing production in softer materials.

Lars