Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

cam profile turning

Madhu

I would like to turn a cam profile on a crank-shaft by using grooving tool, it is not by using endmill with c-axis cutting method. As spindle rotates the tool in X/D axis moves front and back and cutting takes, it is similar to eccentric turning.

Now I do not know how to calculate rpm and feed rate and how to implement in postprocessor.

Madhu.

Well I would think that is not possible with a standard lathe and everyone I seen do not using different cneters did use a milling cutter to do so. I use to make cranks on a CNC lathe but we did it with mill flats on the crnak frisat relativwe to the center of the casting. Then we would put 2 sets of center drill holes in the ends. We would run it inbtween a dead center in the chuck with a lathe dog and a live center in the tail stock. Then cam the trick of having left and right hand tools to do the front work and the back work on each journal. The mains were doing doing the one side first the longest side then throwing that in a set of truned per job softjaws. I would then at a slow RPM re tool the center to make up for any moevemnt or warpage taking off all the material. Then would finish the last end. But to move the tool in an out in relation to the spinlde ot creat a cam is not going to work in my humble opinion. I have also for single action cranks made a split collar with the offset in it. I then bored a set of softjaws to the dia the collar was made orignally. Then I chuck up the blank and face it center drill it then start turning like the wind. Now you can do set cranks this way but need timming features like flats or something made in the chuck to time the lobes of the crank.

HTH and welcome to the forum.