Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T OSP 7000 Tape Storage

We are also in the same boat for our Okuma lathe. The program storage upgrade is going to be $5395.00 and tape storage upgrade is $1985.00

Gosiger is our reseller for or Haas Mill and Ona EDM and Ellison Mach. is the rep for Okuma. We are you at? I know Gosiger HQ is in Ohio but they have one in Milwaukee and Chicago.

They also have a special floppy drive I guess too. But what fun would it be with tons of "Okuma" special formatted discs.

Sorry no answer just adding comment....

No help here, either; I gagged at the last memory expansion quote from Okuma

If you are looking to store many small programs I think that they can monkey with the 'Storage' memory [program library] size vs the 'Active' [program that's running] memory to get you a little more space but if you're looking to run one long program I think you're f__ked

Sorry

C

We have 2 Okumas with the OSP 5000 control. The memory in our controls were upgraded to 30KB about 4 years ago. The control does not have an option to run from tape so BTR option is out. Okuma controls are proprietory so any upgrades come from Okuma with hefty price tag. I have to take 1 meg programs and slice them into 30K pieces to fit but worth it for the rigidity the machines have compared to the HAAS VFs we have surrounding them.

BB0 - BB1 - Tape - Program - Storage - KB - MB - Active - Memory...memory...fading

?????

What was I talking about I typed too much ran out of memory.

What I want to know is this, I heard the first upgrade is just reconfiguring the existing memory to increase the capacity. Then the next two or actual tangible hardware. We are trying to get it approved here to upgrade the program capacity to 160 and the tape storage to 320. I hear tape storage I think a bigger spool of punch tape. 320 feet? 320 meters? long? Not sure smile.gif

All I know is I should start soldered cap, coils, ics and all that crap to a pcb board and watch the money roll in.

Here's another one. The CRT display in our EDM died. Hooked a normal monitor too for the time being. The only bad thing the EDM monitor was 220volt so we ran a ext. cord to the monitor and put it on top of the control cabinet. Got a quote for the monitor. The AE tolds us what he would do is get a 14" monitor, cut it apart and fit into the existing enclosure. Got the quote....$1500 for a $100 monitor. That $1400 of sheet metal! We ordered it anyway for easy of installation and knowing the replacement was made to work.

Got the replacement....and low and behold it got damaged in shippment! Then the 2nd replacement, which was a freebie, took almost a month and half to get. The rigged 19" monitor on top of the control cabinet was better I thought then the $1500 14" monitor.

So....moral of the story. Cheap simple sh*t is reallllll expensive bonk.gif

gplush,

You can store files in the MD0: directory also.

It's the heart dir of the control,but it has tons of space left over.

At least our osp700m does.

Ever price out the hardware to be able to dnc to an Okuma?

It's about a $5000.00 option! OUCH!

curse.gifcurse.gifcurse.gif

• 4 weeks later...
Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...Oh yeah, running under Windows. It will run Mastercam with a USB hasp...

Be very very careful when running CAD/CAM Apps on PC's that run CNC's. Personally I would not do it. PC's are tempermental enough, I would not want to contribute to that effect.

JM2C

Here's the thing.. The CNC is being run a realtime software package. Windows is second priority to the CNC. Windows can blue screen, and the CNC will still run, you'll be blind since Windows runs the display, but the machine will not ball up. The "PC" part is a single board designed around an industry standard bus. This board is designed, as all Okuma control hardware, to have a 150,000 hr.MTBF at 140 deg. F. Not your standard Dell.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...Windows can blue screen, and the CNC will still run, you'll be blind since Windows runs the display, but the machine will not ball up...

I have Mori Seiki Horizontals with the "MAPPS" front end (PC front end with a custom interface) and this happens once in a while... eek.gif the machine still runs (Fanuc side still is running and OK), PC side... rolleyes.gif not so good. Don;t like it, never have liked PC's in the shop regardless of how "Industrial Strength" the compoinents are, it still comes down to being a "PC". Personally I would not do it, even if I could. JM2C

quote:

Here's the thing.. The CNC is being run a realtime software package. Windows is second priority to the CNC. Windows can blue screen, and the CNC will still run, you'll be blind since Windows runs the display, but the machine will not ball up. The "PC" part is a single board designed around an industry standard bus. This board is designed, as all Okuma control hardware, to have a 150,000 hr.MTBF at 140 deg. F. Not your standard Dell.

Jeez, Bob, you sound like an Okuma tech director.... headscratch.gif

Oh yeah; you ARE an Okuma tech director.... idea.gif

Do I get a free control retrofit for my U10Ms..?

C'mon; you guys LOVE me... eek.gif