Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

OT way off topic...Job tips

wtsylvester

I could use some job tips here. I feel that by doing what I needed to do to provide for my family has put a certain amount of egg on my face. Most of you certainly know the feast or famine nature of this business. It's like 7 days a week then nothing. So when you have kids and you're the soul provider, you have to look elsewhere, when those hours get cut back.

Least you have something like working for someone who is packing their nose with powder, or a foreman who is stealing the place blind. Major G-jobs, talking weeks here. I go on swings to supposedly prevent someone else getting laid off only to find that it's to do the programming for some of these G-jobs. You know I don't really have a problem with a little bit here and there, but at the level they were taking it was absurd. So what do I get for saying I have a problem with it, Laid off. You know I kick myself in the rear for not having done what I should of done then. I did contact the higher ups later and they sent some investigators later to talk with me. It was like right out of the X-files. I gave then the facts the numbers etc. and another worker who is still there was willing to back it up. So far, over two years later nothing has been done. Granted I like to think that it is still ongoing. It not like I can really put this info on my resume. If I told you guys who it was I'd think that you all would be just as ticked off as I am.

You know it not so bad when you interview with the owner of a place because they understand the nature of the beast of manufacturing. Most owners have seen some good people go because they can not give them the hours that they need to get by due to lack of work at some point. Or the kind of benefits that they may need for their family.

It hasn't all been bad I have worked for some really good people and worked with some really great people. I started in this biz back in 74, there weren't any Cnc's then and still to this day I still get a kick out of them. It's like I still relate to how much better the part is going to come out vs. running that type of operation on a manual not even considering the jobs that there is no way you could do it on a manual. Like all of you in this forum, I dig this stuff. It's cool that w can get paid for something we enjoy.

Getting a little long winded here so I'll wrap up. I'm looking at another interview and relocating again. More than likely I be going through the dreaded HR person who really doesn't have a clue to this business and all that it entails. I'm ready to go about anywhere, except maybe Ca. and Fl.. New Mexico is such a dead end, I know I have to get out of here.

Any thoughts... either way

Gcode

I sent a e to beav..... never heard anything

there again I think it's the not seeing both sides...no offense intended

I'd jump on that in the proverbial NY minute

jammer, I did have it all lined up to take a job with Cooper Tools there in SC, but put it off so I wouldn't put my last guy in a bind.. after I tell Cooper I can't do it right now .... he take my notice early... since I got the work out

and then rips me on my vac. time... turns around and say how he takes care of his guys...grrr

I keep my mouth shut, bail out and see if the checks clear smile.gif ... did get some of it as the last second... maybe had something to to with curling my rollaway into the backseat of my car....lol.... still tempted to give him a nasty phone call.... but you got to let thing go sometime

Anywho jammmer I am more of mill guy... haven't really done lathes much. Do apprciate the feedback... you guys most know what i am talking about

Bernie,

That other member might be me I joined in once before and forget my password bonk.gif

So I came in again under another name.

Santa Fe is not what you call a manufacturing mecca unless you include baskets,pottery, and over priced art.. tourist trap in a big way.

There is really only one shop in town that is not automotive and he is a solo operation... nice guy tho.

Yep, I can relate to Phoenix, it's really going strong right now, last time I was there it was 100deg the wind was blowing 30mph and that was at midnight. Did you see that dust storm on the news about a week or so ago.... no thanks

I want to be somewhere green ... with seasons

and water.. I know I'm sounding a little picky

ruling out places and all. but the good news is that well it looks to be working that way smile.gif

I might freeze being a southwest guy in the tundra of Ne. but it's looking like it might work out.

Hats off to James M. he hooked me up with another good possibilty if this doesn't fly cheers.gifcheers.gif