Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Yang CNC's

Phil Orenstein

I will be working on a Yang CNC Mill which our company purchased, not knowing anything about CNC machining and Prog, a year before I came in. I believe they were sold a wolf ticket and I see $$$ flowing down the drain, but since I am new, I have to bite my lip for a while until I am in a position to speak up to management. Until that opportunity presents itself I would appreciate feedback from the forum on any experice with a Yang or Fanuc OMD Control. I hear that Yang Iron Works is possibly going out of business but I don't know if they are selling their VMC division. Evidently their CNC's are composed of the company's iron and the Fanuc OMD control with support from Fanuc. We got a good deal, $40K for a 20X40x20(Z) Travel, 20 Tool ATC and 8000 RPM. But if it's a pile of scrap iron in a few years then it's worth nothing.

Thanks,

Phil

I know a person that has one. His runs at 7500 rpm but the coolant flows thru the spindle to keep it cool. If you run dry, you're stuck at 3500 rpm. It also uses grease instead of lube oil. He's owned it for about 4 years and it seems to still hold his tolerances. The spindle is one gear and VERY week at low rpm. The OMD control is very simple but is solid. He seems to have problems with the tool changer and has to have it repaired more than I think it should. It's worth $40k though.

I worked on one machining motorcycle rims for this one guy who doesnt really know sqaut either and I absolutly hated it and its control but only cause I'm spoiled on newer machines and newer controls. I honestly cant put the machine down though. It ran pretty damn good for an older machine. You dont get much tramp oil in the coolant cause it doesnt use way oil so the coolant stays clean longer than most machines