Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

True Solid Verify question?

RandleXX

When our Okuma mill rapids from one pont to another it will pick the shortest route at 45 deg. then follow X or Y to the rapid point. When I use true sold veify, the tool moves in a straight line to the rapid point, which will not give a true toolpath verification. Does anyone know of a way to modify the verify program to reflect this type of move, or is this a bug that I just need to compensate for? I scrapped one 3d sufaced part from this error after it looked great in verify and crashed in the actual machine. Any comments or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Randle

RandleXX,

Mastercam's Verify doesn't verify actual G-code. Backplot and Verify in Mastercam are only going to show the NCI data of the toolpath operations. For an actual G-code verify or backplot, I suggest looking into upgrading the Cimco Edit product that comes with Mcam to the Professional version. This will provide you with more NC Functions in the Cimco Edit with the added functionality of true G-code backplot. It doesn't cost much to do this.

Another possible alternative for Verifying G-code is Metacut Utilities. This is an excellent 3-D toolpath verification/editor program. It also doesn't cost a lot and can save you from these costly errors on the machine. There are other G-code verification programs out there, but I can't think of them right now. HTH cheers.gif

I had a problem with that one time. I was a programmer for a bunch of machinists in a shop. I had a prototype part that had no flat surfaces. I roughed the part at a 45 deg parallel and a big e.m. In verify it roughed fine. The machine (P.O.S. Fadal) uses (correct me if I'm wrong) 'linear rapids' instead of 'vector rapids'. What I learned is when the machine rapids it accomplishes each axis at the same rapid rate. i.e. if you have a motion X+10. and Y+5. Y will get to position first. Some machines will rapid one axis and feed the other to accomplish a point to point rapid motion. Anyway long story longer......because the rough was @ 45Deg. It gouged, I did'nt see it in verify. mad.gif (I changed the G00 to G01's and it did'nt gouge). wink.gif

cheers.gif

I tend to avoid rapids in XYZ where possible. For the time saved in the kind of work I do, it isn't worth it.

BTW, an alternative G-code verifier is Vericut. While its expensive, its very good at what it does.

Also, the Okuma post I customised for our machine has a switch nobrk, which switches on or off, a breakup of XYZ moves.