Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Help !!!! 3 Flute Drill feed and speed

Lars Christensen

Hi guy's,

Now I have my hair in the mailbox again. banghead.gif

I got a production job, were I need to run a .531 diameter 3 Flute(Lips biggrin.gif ) carbide drill in Aluminium 1" deep.

Now this drill was provided by the customer, with the message that they are running it at 7500 rpm and 90 Ipm. What sounds crazy to me(but what do I know rolleyes.gif )

The Drill is going to run on a Kita Mycenter, were I think the customers machine is much more regid, and they have more Hp.

Problem: banghead.gif

They send me only one drill, and I GOT to get this drill to work.

I beg, can someone please give me a thumps up on the 7500 rpm, or alternetive feeds and speed (I dont care about cycletime, just that the drill will not brake).

Thanks

Lars

If you do the numbers, that figures to 1042 surface feet per minute at .004 inches per flute (.012 inches per rev). Power figures to be about 5.5 HP. So, it really is in the ball park for a modern, high-performance carbide drill in aluminum.

Make sure you have no more than a few tenths runout at the drill tip, or you're inviting it to break.