Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Minoritys & Mastercam

Kenneth Potter

I took a survey in our shop. I asked a white programmer, two latin programmers, and an asian machinist. There were no afro-americans or women to be found. I asked them why do they think that there aren't many "minorities" in programming. The answers were: "maybe we're afraid of computers...", "machines are hard to program.." "that's a good question.." "I have a family and no real time for school.." "If I were 19 and outta school I would try to become a lawyer or a doctor and make the big money instead of getting dirty all day..." "some of them have no mechanical aptitude and lack the ability to plan ahead.." "english is a problem.." "due to hot software some might be afraid to step out and be noticed.." "it's easy for them to pick up the language because they are so close to the u.s. but we are very far away from this country and it's much harder to pick up.." "they're just lazy and want to sit down and get free money and not work hard for it.."

Sorry if this offends anybody, but these are some of the answers I recieved. Just asking these questions was sometimes difficult as I am not fluent in other languages. I might offer that:

*Mastercam can be configured for many different languages.

*In S Cal. the NTMA offers CNC programming classes free of charge to employees. (I wanted to take one on parametric programming but I am in a band and have little time also.)

*In this trade generally the money comes rolling in after about 10 years or so of experience. (A few years earlier if you leap frog.) Compare to other professions.

*Children who are not exposed to things mecanical in the early stages of development and who are shunned away by comments like "that's for smart people..." and "you don't want to do that.." (apply other negatives here), are less likely to develop mechanical abilites and the desire to do so.

*Consider also the state wide closures of machining classes in high schools. Wood shop is generally still available and is in my opinion a more dangerous profession.

I could go on and on but let's here from the rest of the guys on the board?

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Mopar,

Do it. That would difinitely be a good research project. I distinctly remember one of my High School Teachers telling me I was not going to amount to a hill of $%^&(! Now I make about 2x what he makes. Kind or ironic isn't it? He felt superior with his degree(s) and all but when it all comes down to it he really was not that bright.

"D's Get Degrees" a friend of mine says.

------------------

James M. ;)

Mastercam Enthusiast

This thread is in its very nature a little on the wrong.

The question is "Do I know any Black Programmers?" This I will answer by saying that I have never seen a Black Programmer, a White Programmer, a Hispanic Programmer, an Asian Programmer or an IndoAsian Programmer.

The only people that I see are programmers (notice the missing labels). Manufacturing is near globalized. Now it is time for the respect of all people to rise to the same level.

Thanks Dave for pointing out that the recent graduates from our technical schools do form a cross section of our populations. All that these kids require is the chance to show what they are made of. Everyone has the capacity to do what we do, it is only because some one took a chance on us that we are able to persue and excell.

I rememember a quote spray painted on the walls at University... "Free your mind, and your xxxx will follow!"

Andrew out.