Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

rotary fourth axis geometry

METAL4GOD

I am not sure how to create the geometry for using a rotary fourth axis. Do I create my part in the top plane as you would a conventional xy part? and how do you create a tool path, is it also in the top plane? Any help would be much appreciated. I am using a haas vf-3 with haas control.

METAL4GOD,

try this as a experiment. Create whatever 2D toolpaths you like (drilling a hole would do the trick) in the top plane. Go to Toolpaths, Next Menu, Transform. On the left side of the window select Rotate and Tool plane (for the Method). Click the Rotate tab at top of window and fill in appropriate data. Make sure Rotation view is set to one of the Side T-planes.

HTH

steve

Steve I used the method you described and it worked perfectly. The only problem I had was I did not realize you had to set a work offset for each rotation, And on my dry run on the machine I kept getting an over travel alarm. It took me a few minutes to figure out what was happening. I just repeated the same offsets 8 times and it worked just like I wanted it to.

quote:

only problem I had was I did not realize you had to set a work offset for each rotation,

Not true,you do not have to set a new 'work offset' for each rotation.

On your tool parameters page under misc. values there should be a spot to check 'on' Lock on first WCS.

I actually have one of my 'rotary indexing' posts hard coded to do this.

I suggest go to TCplan on the 1st paramter page and say if you want g54 set Work offset to "0" on all and it will use just that.

Brenden, most posts to not have that option you spoke of in the Text file.

The MPmaster is the only one that i know of unless your dealer added it to your post.

• 2 weeks later...