Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Rippled Finish??

Tinny

Hi Guys,

I have a problem where I am doing a surface finish parallel over multiple surfaces on a part model supplied by the customer. Sometimes the surface finish is "rippled" with some very small gouges into the faces it is meant to blend into. Anyone else have this problem?? I have created one surface with the same result. I have tried a Flowine but this produces wierd results with the tool forever retracting off the job! Help!!

Tinny

Hi,

my total tol for the parallel finish was 0.05mm, filter ratio of 2:1. Material is aluminium. I will try tightening it up tomorrow.

The flowline was wierd because I am generating a stepped diameter with a 2 mm chamf with a ballnose and the toolpath would start at the 12 o'clock postion, run down to 3 o'clock position, then retract, move to 9 o'clock and feed to 12 o'clock.

Tinny

Project blend works how you think flowline SHOULD work. I've gotten flowline to work by being very careful when selecting multiple surfaces to select them all in the same relative "position" to each other....ie. "upper right corner" of each surface, or such. esp. noticable when doing round features where you want the tool to just travel around the thing, and not jump all over the place..

then again, try project blend smile.gif

The problem and the ripples are coming from Parrell surface tool path.

This particuler path does not do well with step or close to virtical walls.

So as the stepper the wall the more the path starts to break apart in ways.

Not like Flowline were it trys to stay constant step over know matter the surface angle.

Try the Project blend 3d option.

Can you share the file?

Jay/Everyone

I have tried the project-blend but that produced a toolpath with a very good finish, but had a large file size. It may be the geometry I used for the blend. I will tinker futher. I had a lot more success with the flowline. Like I said earlier the toolpath was starting at the "normals". If I rotated the surface 60deg to a place where the tool could not get to, it behaved well. Better still was an open surface rather than the full diameter crated before. My only complain now is that the tool stutters around the chamfer slightly.

My file is not one I can share, I can strip out everything but the few surfaces concerned, and post later when I return home.

Many thanks to all of you for the assistance

Tinny

Tinny,

quote:

My only complain now is that the tool stutters around the chamfer slightly.

You may need to change the cutting method to "one way" instead of spiral so that it filters better. Look into high speed or look ahead codes for the machine. You also might have to loosen up the tolerance a bit.

Mike