Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Dell Precision M60 Notebook

Mick

Hi there,

Is anybody here running on of the current models here? How's Mastercam on it?

I assume it should be a good platform for X.

If anybody is, I'm curious what the difference between the Go 700 and Go 1000 graphics is, and wehter its worth the upgrade.

I'm going to be leasing one of these, and I wanted to make it it wasn't a lemon. I'll be getting either the 1.7 or 1.8ghz, and thr 60Gb 7200 RPM drive

Cheers,

Mike

Mick;

That is an awesome laptop, you will be please by it's performance. I have talked with several people who use M series "portable workstations" and have only heard great things. The only complaint I have ever heard was about price.

Sorry that I could not give you dirrect advice.

Hi

I use a Dell M60 with the maximum specs - The Quadro Fx Go 1000 card with 128 MB RAM, Centrino 1.7, 60GB HD and 2 GB RAM, etc.

Other than the disadvantage of being a bit heavier than its other competitors such as the IBM ThinkPad with the ATI OpenFire GL 128 MB card and similar specs (and 2.2 lbs less), this is a good investment. As mentioned before, Mastercam works better with NVIDIA cards than ATI's.

Pricier also without a doubt, but Mastercam and Solidworks run fine on it. If you need it for Solid modeling or surface modeling and 3D machining, worth it.

Regards

Anbu

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like it is worth getting. I certainly do a lot of 3D work, so I think I'm right in heading for this model.

Charles, the M60 is offered with either the Nvidia Go Fx 700 or 1000 graphics.

Thanks again for all the feedback. I'll probably place the order next week, so I'll let you know!

Thanks again!