Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mitsu AJX & similar cutters on 40 taper machine?

ChuckM

Hello gentlemen.

I've used the AJX on a 50 taper Mori and the thing worked beautifully but I'm now working with Haas VF2s and 40 taper tooling on Haas' spindles. So, is anyone using these "high feed" cutters (1.25-2" diameter) with success on their ~25hp machining centers?

Have a job coming up where I could really utilize one and although I like the Haas mills fine so far, I'm use to working with beefier machines than these.

Your input is always appreciated.

-Chuck

[ 12-12-2004, 08:58 PM: Message edited by: ChuckM ]

What material?

I've used Mitsu AQX endmills (really a bull with a .030 corner rad.) and Mastercam highfeed on a Haas VF-2 as well as a 40 taper Mori. Material has only been aluminum, though. The Haas runs the thing fine, I just adjusted the Material Removal Rate setting in the Highfeed parameter down a little bit on the Haas, so the spindle load meter was'nt TOO buried in the red biggrin.gif .

I've never run the AJX's, how do they work? I've got a few jobs coming up where I'm going to be relying on Highfeed to try and make up some time.

We run AJX on both 40 & 50 taper. No problems at all. Some things to consider is not to predrill the corners or the starting location. Ramp down @ 3 degs, and slow the feed rate down by 60% while ramping. Machine the pocket from outside in. Have planty of air on hand. They run good even on old Monarchs with less than 20HP.

I tried all different brands for high feed apps. Mitsubishi is not the fastest, but it is the safest at those feeds. We run lights out production with those cutters.

Material - 420ss

Cutter - 2.5" Mitsubish AJX

Speed - 856 rpm (560sfm)

Feed - 154 IPM (.060" fpt)

DOC - .040"

Material - 420ss

Cutter - 1.5" Mitsubish AJX

Speed - 1426 rpm (560sfm)

Feed - 256 IPM (.060" fpt)

DOC - .040"

Thx Rob,

From looking at the Mitsu site, it does'nt look like this thing would be a big horse-power user, esp. since your d.o.c is limited anyway. correct?

I'd like to see if I could get a trial from my Mitsu dealer. I've got about 25 smallish aluminum molds to run, this may be overkill though. Looking for something that I can feed alittle faster with a lighter d.o.c. The aqx's love to be buried DEEP. biggrin.gif

Thx Rob,

From looking at the Mitsu site, it does'nt look like this thing would be a big horse-power user, esp. since your d.o.c is limited anyway. correct?

I'd like to see if I could get a trial from my Mitsu dealer. I've got about 25 smallish aluminum molds to run, this may be overkill though. Looking for something that I can feed alittle faster with a lighter d.o.c. The aqx's love to be buried DEEP. biggrin.gif

cmr, the load never gets past 60% on the 40 taper (gear) and even less on both 50's. Like you said the HP is not an issue. The only problem we had was cutting very deep pockets on our Mits MV70E-FM. The chips are made so fast, and are so heavy we actualy had to run an additional outside air line to be able to get the chips out of the pocket. Even after running for 30 mins. straight the tool is only luke warm to the touch as well as the workpiece. It's a beautiful thing seeing it run that fast.

Man this forum moves fast!

Thanks for the information Rob. I personally love every Mitsubishi cutter I've used and you can't beat the warranty policy.

CMR, the materials will be A2 tool steel (we cut A2 frequently), 4140 and lots of carbon steels like 1050. We work in a very large variety of materials.... some I hate with a passion, but that's another subject. wink.gif

Gotta make quick work of this stuff and need to do it reliably. Have used the Iscar Feedmill and it is fast but the insert life is not so predictable. The Mits cut nice, don't put alot of heat into the workpiece and insert life is very predictable. Looks like they're going on our 40 tapers here real soon.

Thanks again guys.

-Chuck

Oh yeah Chuck, if your question/post doesn't get answered within an hour, that's a loooong time around here! biggrin.gif Sounds like Rob's got your answers.

Does'nt look like we'll be springing for an AJX for our project, they don't make the hti-10 aluminum inserts for it yet. I kind of thought the cutter would be overkill anyway for my soft-metal app.

We purchased a 3/4 inch AJX cutter and it is the best tool that I have for removing material fast. The only problem is that the inserts seem to loosen of after about an half hour of cutting.

I don't know about the U.S. but in Canada these cutters have a 1 year waranty which is pretty amazing.