Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam Handbook Vol. 1

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Has anybody put their hands on the new Mastercam Handbook Vol. 1 yet?

I got a copy and read through it during my vacation. (Am I a sicko or what????) I must say that it is the first "Where, Why, How" book about Mastercam. It goes beyond the click here, type that there sort of guide we've seen for the last few years. (No offense to the fine Publishers of Mastercam guides/tutorials/ etc...) It's just that this book is what my students have been begging for, for the last year and a half.

It starts with "Computer Basics" and thoroughly goes through the 2-D aspects of geometry creation and toolpaths. Lots of explanations, objectives, ect...

It's worth checking out even if you're not so new to using Mastercam. From what I'm told, you'll need to contact your local Mastercam Reseller about it. I don't know about pricing. It's welcome addition to the somewhat lack of printed reference material regarding Mastercam.

JMHO

Hello, James & Millturn!

Thanks for the kind words. Not too many people have seen this yet because it is so new.

FYI: It's my understanding that CNC is sending out one copy of the Handbook to all dealers this week or next.

This is Volume 1, which covers all 2D modeling and machining. Volume 2 covers 3D modeling and machining and will be available later this fall.

We all owe Charles Davis our gratitude for a fine book. Let us know at the Mastercam Educational Division in Gig Harbor how we can make future books address your needs.

Debby de Carlo

Tech Writer

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

As an Instructor, I'd like to see more books styled like Charles'. For Volume 2, I'd like to see an in-depth look at "Synchronization".

How it works, etc... My students don't really have anything to take home and read about the subject and the Scholars book touches on it but not really in the depth that I'd like to see it covered.

JMHO

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I'm sorry for truncating the title of the book. It's published by Scholars International by Jonathan Lim and somebody else. (My apologies for the "somebody else" but the name escapes my at this moment. The title I believe is Mastercam Version 8

They run anywhere from $80-$100 depending on where you purchase them. There are books from Version 5 through Version 8. Versions 6-7 have Lathe stuff in it. Version 8 only covers Milling and Drawing. There is also a Solids book available from them as well. I don't know the price off hand for that one but it's pretty close to the Version 8 price. The solids book has not been updated for Version 8, I don't know that there is really a need. They said that there was going to be a Lathe 8 book but I have not heard anything for months.

Hope that helps.

I am going to be teaching a Mastercam (beginners level)for adult students. I have to develope the program and would appreciate any information anyone has to help! I would also loke to know where to purchase the Mastercam Handbook Vol. 1 that everyone has been talking about. Millturn I see you also teach a class, any input you would have for me would be appreciated.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

You can go to http://www.mastercamedu.com and contact them regarding Mastercam teaching materials, curriculum, etc... The curriculum that goes with the Handbook I fist mentioned includes Powerpoint Presentations, Tests, stuff like that. Very worthwhile looking into if you ask me. The school where I teach will most likely be implementing it at some point in the not too distant future.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Art,

You can call your local Mastercam reseller at (909)923-9299 or (714)847-6890 (CAD/CAM Consulting Services Inc.). Here's what she looks like and the cost is mentioned too. Mastercam Educational

Hope that helps. Glad to see you're back Art. Come take Mastercam at NTMA sometime. It'll be worth it.