Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Surface rough pocket incremental detect flats

Chris Rizzo

Ok you surface guys, I'm using the above. Incremental depth adjustments set to .010, and I also did a "detect flats". Now should'nt I be still leaving .010 ABOVE my detected flats? It's not, I'm getting Z level cuts AT my detected flat level, and not leaving anything (should be .010?).

also, with "critical depths" selected (instead of detect flats), and I select my flat levels, it DOES leave .010....which makes sense...

Oh, stock to leave setting to zero, with incremental set to .010, I should be leaving .010?

I believe the incremental adjustments min and max are just that. They adjust the top and bottom cuts of the operation. If you don't adjust down incrementally the first cut will be an air cut. I have not seen it modify any other depths. I always leave a drive surface allowance if I need material left for a finish cut. You also need this allowance if you want material left on your vertical surfaces, as in cavity or core walls.

If you don't set the drive surface value on the second parameter page you will not have any stock left on your critical depths you slected. Detect flats is another way of setting critical depths. The depth adjustment that Mastercam refers to is the maximum depth of cut you set on the third page called maximum stepdown. It will adjust that value to a smaller value to get a pass to equal the flats you detected.

I hope in my haste I did not further muddy the waters.

More Mud...

When you call out critical depths

Mc won't blow them off anymore and will leave your drive stock amount on them instead of just

A positive stock amount of whatever your Depth of cut is set for.

So if its -.200 deep and you have a ledge at -.08

and you say leave .01 drive stock and your d.o.c.

is -.05 it will cut it at -.05 then blow past it to

the next d.o.c. at -.100 leaving +.03 on it

instead of +.01 unless you called the -.08

in critical depths.Then it would make a -.07

pass for you .

quote:

Ok you surface guys, I'm using the above. Incremental depth adjustments set to .010, and I also did a "detect flats". Now should'nt I be still leaving .010 ABOVE my detected flats?

You should, I don't know why you aren't.

I used to think that inc mode would do an axis shift of the toolpath. But I find this to be incorrect.

MC just adjusts the depth of cut on each pass between the flats to wind up with .01 on the surface and be as close to your step depth without going over.

quote:

The only way it will leave a postive value on the detect flat surfaces is to leave a drive surface allowance

I'm not sure that is entirely accurate...

check out DETECTFLATS.mc9 in the MC9 folder on the FTP.

depth limits = 0/.01 inc....0 stock.....used detect flats and it left .01 on every flat.

Save as geometry and measure the step depth on all of the passes.....I used .1 step.

Murlin, on your file it indeed stays .010 above detected flats. You are correct.

However, check out Detectflat_2.mc9 on the FTP.

Detected flat is at .375.

Adjustment to other cuts / increm .010.

Stock to leave is 0.

Second to last cut is at .385. Last cut is placed at .375! The detected flat level!

Aye, the rub.? Notice that I do have a surface at .365. Placing a cut .010 above that is .375, but the cut is not restricted to that part of the model. It indeed cuts the .375 surface. eek.gifconfused.gif

I also tried eliminating the .365 level surfaces, by translating them to .375. So now the only flat detected is at .375. Cut is still placed at that level. confused.gif

I would love to check it out but I am not allowed to have acess to the FTP. I can run millions of dollars of equipment, and repair $100 thousand dollar molds, but I can't be trusted with access to the FTP site.

Sorry for the vent. I currently get exactly what CMR is talking about. We must have something set up the same way.

Check out detect flats 3 smile.gif

If it was me I would leave some stock on that op ....

Yo Heavy, that sux about the use of the FTP.....

Bug them every chance you get and tell them you need it. frown.gif

Tell your network admin to go and get the freaking file for you so his security won't be compromized. headscratch.gif

I have to put in a work order request. Then I have to get the file approved for company use before they pull it down. They have basically made the system so cumbersome that no one will use it unless their job depends on it.

Anyway I would hate to break into their Star Wars surfing time.