Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Five Axis Tool Axis Control......help please.....

tirenut

Alright guys, if you know anything about MultiAxis swarfing please help! I am having trouble getting a certain section of a model to toolpath correctly using 5Axis swarfing. I have uploaded the MC8, NCI, and posted NC file for the model so you can see what I am talking about (In the MC8Files folder, Athens5Axprob.zip file)

On operation 1, I need the tooltop to stay in contact with and as normal as possible to the purple floor surface while tilting to come tangent the green wall surface. If you look at the toolpath from the front view while it backplots, you can see that it does not stay normal with the floor at all and is causing a problem because I need it to swarf up the side and set the intersection between the purple floor and the green wall with the .020 bull nose (requiring tangency to the wall while staying as normal to the floor as possible)

We usually don't have problems doing this, as shown in Operation 2, it works fine, but this model won't drive quite right up the one particular rib.

Is there a tool axis control command that I am missing? Or is there something screwy going on with the surface causing the incorrect motion? I don't see any commands to modify how the tool tip interacts with the floor surface at all. Our NCL software has infinate control over this, but we need it to work in Mcam also.

The posted file works fine at the machine (Hermle C800U With Heidi TNC430), but doesn't give us the desired result on that one particular rib.

Please help if you have any suggestions at all. Mail me if something isn't quite clear or I'm not making sense - thanks in advance! BTW - the model is a section of a tire mold if you were wondering.

Thanks Again,

Brett Price

Brett, I looked at the file, made a new operation for you to look at, if this is not alright, tell me what you want and I hope I can fix it. I belive the tool is staying normal to the floor, and not hurting the side walls. I take it this is a finish pass only.I uploaded it to the mc8 folder as Toftp2.mc8. Let me know.

Reece

Thanks Reece!

That looks good, I guess I never really thought of driving surface edge curves with the tooltip on the floor in this case. I got stuck thinking in the swarfing mindset because we almost always have a drafted rib on our models, so I usually just swarf it killing two birds with one stone. The way you did it will work great on this because the rib is perp to the floor surface on this model.

It is great to have someone else's take on things, its tons of help! Sometimes all is it takes is a different perspective and the problem goes away.

And yes, this pass is a finish pass only, just to "clean out" the rib/floor intersections. There is very little stock that it has to pull on this cut.

Also, do you have any idea what would make the tool do what it was doing with the swarf pass on operation 1? Just curious if it might be the way the UV's of the surface are running or something because it was a customer supplied model and sometimes they are a little screwy

Thanks again and have a great weekend!

Brett