Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Default file names

CADin & CAMin

Are you posting multiple operation groups? or maybe you have multiple .nci files in the same group? This will cause multiple .nc posts and not all in one file.

There is a way to "pre-select" default file names to use. One place is in screen > configure. You can choose the default name to be picked up (ie: nci file, mc9 file, operation group etc.... I think). When you post, it should prompt you for a file name at which time you can then name it whatever you want and even save it to a different place then what your default is set at.

I can't remember all of the specifics of the default file names off hand though. I'm not in front of a seat so maybe someone else can be of better info.

Well let me see if I can point you in the right direction. If there is operation groups for each of your 8 nc files then you can name each operatino group a Name. I do this for job that I may program 5 to 15 different operations for. So let say it is customer Jim and the part number is 4567 and the Machine is a Haas. Then I will call my operation group J4567H1 for the 1st operation group. I picked this up here and like it alot verses using just some name. Now you do this for all of your operation but when you post you only get one NC file or have to post all as indivindual operation which is not the case. You can post them all at one time. You right click on eahc operatino group make sure to set the one you are as the active operation group. You can tell this by the bold lettering. The trick here is that if you post anything from now on that operation group is where it will be posted. So yes ever time you may have wanted ot post soemthing you forget and have to move to the right group well by making it active you can and have it go to the right group. I have also set my options to use active operation group for control of the NCI. (you can access this control by going to your system configuration/nc Settings/then NCI path)

Ok now that we have covered all of that we get to the easy and fun part of this excerise. Right click on the active operation and go to Options then change NCI desgination. Now save it making sure you make all of you operation the same way and doing it as the active operation group. (Another cool this here is if it is the active operatino group with hwat I have sohwed you they now becoem the same name as that operation group)

Now all you have all you operation groups named and saved accorindly. Now select all operations and hit post you will now get the prompt for 8 nc file and they will all have 8 different names.

If I am off track here sorry but hope this help you or someone else. Hum would this act call my morals in question?

Slower Typer than Bryan.

Thank you for pointing me in the direction of the NCI path. I have made some experiments with mixed sucess at this point. It seems that I get an extra post that I didn't expect, When I post more than one operation group at a time. I do get multiple files and this would be a huge help. The posts seem to have a tool change at the beginning. Maybe they expect to be loaded in sequence.

One thing is sure, when I try to do a number of repetative tasks and have any distraction, I make mistakes. This and some other great tips i have found in the forum help me to organize and automate. It makes CAMin fun.

• 6 months later...

Ok I would like to know some more on this please.

Lets say I have a toolpath group called TOP in my library.

Inside I have a r/p op with 1" ball and a r/p op with a 1/2" ball.

I will be posting the ops seperate. And I want to call the nci/nc filename the same every time.

1" I want default as T2.nc.

1/2" I want default as T4.nc.

I want this every time I import ops into a new file.

Somehow I am getting t.nci instead of the nci name that I have set in my op library. headscratch.gif

Any help would be apreciated.....

I'm trying to figure this out in X. It looks like we have lost the ability to name the output files the same name as the op group. X is changing

-'s to _'s and adding an _ to the front of the name?

So Group 444X4444-44 becomes _444X4444_44.nc

I have a VB that creates the op groups that I need from the part number. Everything works great in 9.1

I have not had a chance to test what I will write, but here are my suggestions:

a) Before you post, select the operation and right click, selection "Options" -> "Select NCI destination and give the name that you want the .nc file to have.

B) Try to use Job Setup to import your operations from a simular job.

c) Start with a mc_ file that has the operations you want but has no geometry. Merge in the gemometry and apply the toolpaths. I like to select a group or all operations and pres regenerate path. The program will ask you to select each geometry that is missing. This is faster than going into each operation and adding a geometry manually.

I hope that I have been helpful. The forum has been a grat help for me.

I have done c before but not b headscratch.gif

I have a NCI dir with bout 100 NCI names to use in the change NCI box on the parm page.

Would be easier if i could just import an op and the NCI filename was there all the time.

I know there has to be a way to do it but I can't seem to find it.....