Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

setting up commputers

david

We are currently programming on the floor with two seats of mastercam. We are getting another computer to do programming on off line and want to use the current computers in a network configuration. We will be communicating to 3 maching centers via dnc-b, and two wire machines, 1 machining center, and 3 lathes via downloading programs to the controls memory.

I was wondering how some other users with experience in this does it. One suggestion was to use the newest computer that we are getting with the faster processor and all the kicks and giggles that our dealer suggested as the workstation to create the programs. Then use one of our existing units as a server and the remaining unit to be hooked up to the cnc controls on the floor.

Any and all comments are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Anyone using Muti-DNC or OK-DNC32?

David

David, we currently are using multi-dnc, servicing 8 vmc's and 5 cnc lathes. Instead of sending to machine you actually draw the file from the server, at the the control. Any edit changes at the machine can be punched back to the server for future use. Having all Fanuc controls ranging from 6m to 18m, and 1 om control the only obstacle was editing the post so as to allow any nc file to be sent to any one of the vmc's. I can't offer any advice on any of the other dnc packages, but this one works real well for us.

Dan

If your machines are capable of having an ethernet card installed- this is the ticket. I communicate drag and drop style with all four of my machines, if I had 100 it would work the same. From both seats of my mastercam stations I can drop programs into the machines, read and backup files and drives remotely,transfer or edit programs in the controller in seconds from either workstation. There is simply no comparison unless machine memory constraints necessitate a drip feed. Networking is one of my closet passions.

Jim

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Ethernet..... now we're talking. None of this 4800, 9600, or 19,200, Ethernet is much better. Though I believe it is not available for older controls. Maybe somebody will make a card or a retorfit for that.

JMHO

We use a complete networked system with Extreme Dnc to communicate all our files throughout this facility of 50+ machines. The capabilities are tremendous and with bar coding theres no drag and drop just wand a traveler and the program is automatically sent to the machine. Oh yeah if you are using a pre-setter all this information will also load into the machine piggy back of the g-code file. Quite nice if I say so myself. I know there is other capable software systems out there but we have had alot of success with this one so far. smile.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

When I worked for a reseller, I hooked up one of my customers with a barcoding system. Just like you said, no drag and drop, just scan the barcode, and voila, in the control. Shop Floor Automations set it up for them. They had CNC routers too, funky controls and the whole bit. It was using Preditor I believe.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

DOH!!!!!!

I though you worked for them. Sorry. I only said it because they got that barcode stuff and that was mentioned above. Do you do the barcode stuff too Jay?

[ 08-17-2001: Message edited by: James Meyette ]