Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

converting photos files into entities in mastercam 9.1?

machinistkid

Hi I suppose a quick intro is in order, I'm a 20 year old student in los angles CA about a couple of weeks ago I got a chance to play with mastercam 9.1 anyway I'm having a lot of fun but I am not taking any mastercam courses and I do not have the oppourtunity to do so, I have been teaching myself bit by bit here in my free time so please bear with me if my questions are just plain ignorant.

My question:

Is it possible to convert a windows picture file like a BMP/JPEG/GIF into an entity or series of points? Do I need third party software to pull this off?(I have MC 9.1)Can a throw the pic in the backround and "hand-map" the points?

Thanks for being patient with me.

-Aaron

Hi Machinsitkid, Welcome to the forum. cheers.gif

If you search the forum you will come up with some very handy tricks within mastercam, and some freewares to do this.

You can use raster2vecotr plugin. That comes with an extra cost.

Or,

you can download wintopo

Or,

use Mastercam ART

Or,

Try this thread JPG again

cadist,

In an older post you helped someone with the same problem im having. It was something about adding edit to the end of the path of image. The path is C:Documents and SettingsMARKMy DocumentsChad's picturesCHAD"S PICTURES. Do I add the name of the picture as well as edit at the end?

Hi chad, it was the same thread.

you have to just click on the value and type the path of image. And you have to include the name of file as well as extension. Remember you can use only BMP

HTH

Thanks for making me a Thousanair. cheers.gif

[ 03-05-2005, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: cadist ]

machinistkid , Welcome to the board.

If you are looking at getting some trainning try looking at the NMTA Trainning centers say the one in

North Hollywood if you are any were near there.

Feel free to drop by there say after 5pm during the

week to stop by and see the Mastercam class.

Jay

Cadcam, its real funny you mentioned that I was actually there about 6 months ago and took a quick tour on a weekday night during a mastercam class. I wanted to attend NTMA but it was a toss-up between the north hollywood campus and the norwalk, I either had to cross the 405 north into the valley or the 10east/5 south. Both of them seemed good to me but, the 405 into the valley can be a 3-4 hour commute so I went to norwalk. I'm about 2 months away from graduating the basic machining course right now.

• 4 weeks later...