Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Fanuc 16i T

mikestut

Has anyone here been involved in adding network

capabilities on a Fanuc 16i T control? Our machine dealer says the machine/control combination needed to be built that way at the start,and would be too expensive for what we would gain. I DO NOT agree. This machine will (later down the road) be programmed "off-line"!

Anybody out there with experience doing it or know who to contact to git-r-done I would appreciate it!

Thanx

First off, 'Welcome to the Forum' cheers.gif

To answer your question. Doesn't your control have at least an RS-232 port? I can't imagine a 16i without one. headscratch.gif Then again, I wouldn't be surprised with what Fanuc does, or some machine builders.

With the RS, you can hook up directly to PC or server and program parts offline... plus be able to load them in while running the machine. Look around the control for a 25 pin connector, like the one on the back of a PC (although some newer PC and Laptops are coming out without them.) Might be under a panel with a thumbscrew? Floppy drive?

Bottom line, machine builders have to be able to install control software, opions, load parameters etc. If they can connect to the machine, you can. Hard coded machines are a thing of the past.

Damn those guys... getting tired of hearing from dealers/builders....

"Oh, that's extra"

"That's an option, for a small fee..."

"It's not available on that model, but for a little extra, this model..."

"It's built into the cost/option. If you want this you have to get that..."

AHHHHH curse.gif

Here's my thought of them...

On the second thought, I won't do it. But man is it frustrating.

I apologize in advance to all dealers in this forum. I understand you're at the mercy of the product, market and manufacturer.

psycho teh tired of it... but gotta put up with it.

I,ve have used RS232 for years and I know it works. But when your company has spent tons of money on a good network system and you already have 3 machines that use the ethernet to load programs why would you want to dedicate ANOTHER

computer to load via RS232. We would have ordered these new machines with ethernet options if bought new. BUT, we got a deal on them as dealer demo models. Now we are being told it is dificult to change, and I don't belive it could be that hard!!! Anyone else with any ideas or who to "really" call and talk to? Thank you for the responses I recieved. I'm looking forward to more.

Mike just use the Flash Card with Adaqpter we use it on our newer 16 conrtol and it works fine. I think it is 3404 Bit2 to a 1 and 138 bit2 to a 1 and set your channel to 4 and use a sub program M198 cal to the program on the card. The program on the card needs to have no extension and be a number not a name and should work fine. James put up a explaition alot better than me do a search and you should find it.

HTH

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Mike a Dataserver is a pretty decent option. Yeah it's a little pricey (around 5k I think - don;t quote me on that price), but it gives you the ability to load/run programs from a network.