Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Projecting Onto a Surface

n23x

Hey guys, I've been banghead.gif on this one for a while, so I thought I'd ask on here. We got a new desktop mill here at school, so I'm shooting to make a fancy demo piece to show off some basic 3d capabilites. I've uploaded it here:

ftp://mastercam:[email protected]/Ma..._DEMO_PIECE.MC9

The general surface cutting I've got down, but my goal is to get this logo projected onto and then milled into the face with a small ball endmill:

http://egweb.mines.edu/images/shield.gif

I am assuming that I can just draw the shield on a plane parallel with the face of the piece that I want to draw it on, and then use the Project to Surface feature, but I'm having some problems with it. Can I create a plane parallel to this face to work on in Mastercam, or should I just orient the piece's face to one of the main planes in Mastercam?

I was also just planning on redrawing the shield in mastercam, which is not a big deal, but I am curious as to if there's a way to use the graphic of the shield to simplify this?

Thanks a lot guys!

.jim

Hi Jim,

You're welcome. I started by cleaning it up with Corel Photo Paint,then MasterCam raster to vector.

It is almost always still rough with raster to vector, so I ususlly just reconstruct it using the conversion as a guide.

Took about 20 minutes.

Have fun.

Joe

Thanks Joseph, ya beat me to it.

n23x, Raster to Vector is an add-in that does cost a few bucks. You usually have to do some clean-up on the image still.

I also have the best results using a photo editing program first, and then bringing it into mcam alot cleaner. The .eps/.ai converter works fantastically with adobe based image files, and seldom require any further cleanup.

hth

Joe, CMR, and Todd,

Thanks very much for all the info, this has definately been a place of great knowledge and good people.

If the Raster to Vector add-in costs a fair amount, I'm not sure if I'll be able to add that to our setup, as we don't really do much graphic conversion. However, this has been a really interesting experience, and I am amazed at how quickly the geometry was generated from the included graphic.

Thanks guys, your help is invaluable.

cheers.gif

.jim