Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

what learning do I need?

nickelback

I would like to know what classes and what sort of knowledge is needed to become a nc programmer? I have been through a two year vocational program for machine tool(finished in 1994). I have been through a five year apprenticeship to become a journeyman moldmaker(finished in 2000). Last year I took a 3d Mastercam course. I have 6 years in moldmaking at my work place now.If anyone can help I would like to know what steps are needed to make yourself strong in nc programing. Cutter selection is a problem I have. How do you learn what cutters to use and know they will work without messing up first? How do you get hired as a nc programmer?

To start you can take MC milling class and then advanced milling, but you are not going to learn which cutters are the best to use in certain situations though. You will however learn the toolpaths that are at your disposal. When I started programming I used my mill hand knowledge then progressively altered feed rates and speeds accordingly. Chip color is the best bet to determine feeds and speeds when using an insertable cutter.

As for picking a tool diameter I tend to start with a one inch ball for most cavities. But this is hard to say because I roughed out a cavity the other day with a 1/8 ball. The shape and size will really dictate which is best.

Experience and experimentation is the best class you can take that is really what I am saying.

Good luck and good cutting!

Here's several things

If you are Appling as a programmer for the first time,don't mention your tools.

Make sure your software is registered.

Make sure you have M.C. seat time .

Know the "six powers of persuasion"

You will get more form the book than a class.

You will get more from the class if you read the book.

If you write down your M.C. questions they will be easier to remember in class.

For immediate cutter help --- get the thin "Hanita operator's handbook" and read all of it.

Buy extra end mills if you are cutting on Saturday.

When drawing ,draw to the cutting defaults ,then when you make tool path your almost done.

Draft over the very same dementions on print,then line match them,to avoid simple mistakes.

Use the verify and then back plot,even if you know the program is right.

Good luck

Few people make it as cnc programmer

because first ,the person has to be

smart enough to do the job ,and

balanced-- with stupid enough to

pick this for a career .

------- Hardway

[ 09-05-2001: Message edited by: Scott Bond ]

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

Few people make it as cnc programmer

because first ,the person has to be

smart enough to do the job ,and

balanced with being stupid enough to

pick this for a career .

------- Hardway

LOL. That is soooo true.

I'll add my 2 Cents. THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR SEAT TIME!!!!!!!!![/] I tell my students this all the time. They are expecting to be proficient at Mastercam spending only a few hours a week in class with the software. Sorry but it aint happenin'! No matter how good(or bad for that matter) of a teacher I am, I cannot make up in class for what you should be doing on your own. Don't mean to be harsh but this is serious business. You gotta get the demo version and spend hours a week playing with it. Even though I am a full time programmer, I still spend about 10 hours a week playing with the software on my own time at home. That's what it takes, time, time, time and lots of it. One thing that will teach you ALOT is actually running the jobs you program. Aside from seat time, this is the one thing that will make you better, faster than anything else. When you have to deal with your own mistakes, you learn quickly. You may not have that luxury but if at all possible do it.

Let the firestorm begin.

I forgot to mention the seat time. Yes very important. Weasel weasel weasel every chance you get. Don't let the seat get cold. I used to stayafter work on my own time to get more time in the chair. Ask your dealer if you can get a demo for home to practice with. You won't be able to save anything but you do get the practice.

Seat time at home, very helpful, very important.

Ask if you can take the dongle (Hasp) home and actually do some of your programming work there so that you can experiment with various toolpaths. You will be ahead the next day. (good for 'attaboys')

DON'T FORGET THE DONGLE IN THE MORNING!!!!

(very bad for 'attaboys')

BerTau smile.gif

Now one thing that seems to be lost in these statements.

Know one has stated about having machining knowledge before learning to use the mastercam.

You need to know how a tool will react in the material.

I find that be fore running of to take a mastercam class take the machinist class if you have not machined.

This goes for operators in most cases to.

JM2C

PS good post scott.

Cadcam has a great point...

Anybody can make a program using a cam system. But will that program run right the first time? If a machinist is programming it, chances are better.

When I first got into machining, the programmer we had could make that machine do wonders. But almost EVERY single program had to be edited; tools switched, feeds/speeds/depth of cut, all needed work before running the part. And he never seemed to get the idea about why we were changing his programs all the time.

Do yourself, your employer, AND your operator a favor: If you're gonna learn to program, you gotta learn how to machine FIRST!