Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

help with 4 axis tool path

DaveR

I uploaded "turbine fan" zip to the mc.9 folder.

I have not done much 4 axis work and this was going to be practice. I have not been able to figure out how to cut it, I tried a few surface tool paths, but they came out pretty bad, I figured I could just transform - rotate those. The 4ax paths seem to want to cut straight to the surface, no depth cuts, that won't work.

Before I get flamed, I'm not looking for someone to cut it for me just a few ideas about what paths to use.

Also I wanted to just try and index the thing, using surface paths too but I could not figure out what to use to set my tool plane, it's all curves.

DaveR you have been around a while. The reason someone gets flammed is if they are new person and that is their first post. You sir have been in here asking and helping and if I had my seat with me wouldbe glad to help look at it, but I think I can without looking to get you on track.

1) Just about every 5ax toolpath in Mastercam will run in 4th axis mode. They have toggles to allow this and they make the 4th axis a very powerful tool if used right.

2) I would recommned getting the Book by my buddy Charles Davis(sorry to others) He goes in the great explaintion on alot of the basics you need to do these types of toolpaths.

3) A thing alot of people overlook myslef included is axis substion. I just did some programming this week on a part and spent many hours trying to get the toolpath perfct using the different 5ax toolpaths and in about 15 mintues had so really kick but toolpaths that were 3axis toolpaths doing 4th axis just by using axis substition. I will put a very good exmaple of this on Monday.

4) If you are using 5ax flow or 5ax Mtlsurf do not over look the importance of line to control the tool. have been able to get some really trick toolpaths using line as my toolaxis control. I was shown a project points to surface trick that helps you you are looking for alot of point then you can use grid to create them and then project them to the surface.

5) Think outside thebox. What I mean by this is be creative and do nt limit yourself ot what you have seen others do but still use what others have done ot make common snese apporaches. It sounds like double talk but a 4th axis is a very powerful tool so many time never used right. I can see project coming off of 4th axis in 2 op that most people take anywhere from 6-12 op to do. This is ithe direction in which to look. It may require you to be very abstract in fixtures and toolpaths and make take more than usally time to figure a job out but the more you think along these line and allow yourself the time to d oti right you will get better and faster at apporaching these types of job in the furture.

6) Think accuraccy as part of your work. If you need to leave a feature so you can indicate it good. If you need to bore some tapped hole small to give you locating place good they can be done off a machine 99% of the time and still hole true position of .004 no problem. The idea is again think outside the box use feature to locate or leave open area there to put hole in the give support as you remove material. These are the tips and things you just figure out as you do a job as we all do but they can be your best friend when doing 4th axis work.

Sorry will get done off the box.

HTH

quote:

3) A thing alot of people overlook myslef included is axis substion. I just did some programming this week on a part and spent many hours trying to get the toolpath perfct using the different 5ax toolpaths and in about 15 mintues had so really kick but toolpaths that were 3axis toolpaths doing 4th axis just by using axis substition. I will put a very good exmaple of this on Monday.

Ron:

I never use axis substitution. I´m interesting in this example too.

Thanks in advanced.