Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

USB to to Haas Control

C JAYNES

We just purchased a new laptop, which only has a usb port. We also purchased a usb to rs232 cable (usb to db25), but we cannot get the pc to send or recieve programs to our control. I have done a search and didn't find any answers that worked. I talked to my Haas AE and he sent me some things to try and those didn't work either.

Using the Cimco editor and Com port 5 on my pc.

Is anyone using this set up with success?

Thanks

P.S.

I can send programs from my other computer using a db9-db25 connection

XP Pro, Version 9.1 MR0105, NetHasp

I run a usb to db-9 converter out of my laptop, then a db9 to db25 to my haas/mori/fanuc just fine.

-can you try just the cable (db9 to 25)on another machine, to make sure that's good?

-make sure your usb port is enabled, and you've got the com port set correctly in cimco communications. I don't have my laptop in front of me now, so I can't check my settings.

The one I am using on my laptop is from I/O gear. It is a USB to serial 9 pin. If you have an XP operating system, there are not drivers required..though there is a cd that comes with it. This converter also has an led that lights up when data is being passed through. You can also test this out using hyperterminal which your laptop should have standard on it. Settings for your baudrate should not need to be changed. You should be able to use the same settings your computer and machine were using. The only thing to keep in mind is that you choose the correct COM port. Are you sure you have the active COM port selected? This is the number one mistake people run into. Other than this, your machine settings and computer settings need to match.

this is the link to the one I am using http://www.iogear.com/main.php?loc=product&Item=GUC232A

The IOGEAR Serial Adapter LowFRZ linked to above is an excellent device. We (CIMCO) have recommended these to countless people attempting to set up communications between a laptop USB port and their CNC control(s). Everyone reported back that the adapter worked great.

Note: There are many USB to Serial adapters out there - most of which do not work. The majority of the time this is a result of weak device drivers.

Other option - RS232 Serial PCMCIA Cards

Although the IOGEAR adapter works great, you may also consider the 1-port 232 serial PCMCIA card from Quatech. See RS-232 Serial PCMCIA Cards

These units are excellent and have proven to be the most trusted single or dual port laptop solution. The 1-port unit retails for $129 according to Quatech's site but you should probably be able to find it for less online.

Go the IOGEAR route first. If you can't get it going go with Quatech.

Also, give Mitch a call at Cad/Cam Technologies (765) 778-2020. He has a great deal of communication/DNC experience and should be able to get you sorted out quickly.

You can always give us a call too.

Let us know how things turn out.

Thanks guys. I will try the IOGEAR adapter.If that doesn't work I will go th PCMCIA card route.

Anthony, Thanks for the info, I talk to Mitch all the time. He recommended not using the USB to DB9. I am just tring to save a little money since I spent my budget on a new machine and another seat of MasterCam.

cmr - no problem. Cheers.

C Jaynes wrote:

quote:

Anthony, Thanks for the info, I talk to Mitch all the time. He recommended not using the USB to DB9. I am just tring to save a little money since I spent my budget on a new machine and another seat of MasterCam.

Ah oh. Now I'm in trouble with Mitch! bonk.gif Seriously, Mitch probably gave you excellent advice based on a solution he knew would work for you (proven solutions = less tech support = a good thing). Let us know how things work out for you. I'll call Mitch and let him know that you are testing the USB Serial Adapter in case you need to call him.

Again, give us a shout if you have problems with the USB Adapter and we can try to help you out before bailing to the PCMCIA card.