Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Back Taper Cutters

robk

Looking for an off the shelf solid carbide back taper (up to 5° but not really important as long as the shank dia. doesn't get smaller than 1/8") that finishes floors & walls @ the same time. Can't find anything like that in the catalogs that I have in here. The max dia. can not be bigger than 6.5mm (.256") and the F/L would need to be @ least 12mm (.472"). I need to undercut some dia.'s for bearings with sharp edges.

The tolerance for the floor is +.0002"/-.0000" and each bearing has to be "fitted". We're boring the dia.'s, but I would like to finish the floor & relief the bottom of the c'bore in one shot....

Maybe I'll just have to bring a 1/4" cutter to Eastec today & have them demonstrate one of their carbide grinders for me wink.gif

Anyways, thanks for any input...

[ 05-25-2005, 06:35 AM: Message edited by: robk ]

g huns...

I use a sn-53 from SGS. This cutter has a 10° inlcuded angle. I by the double cut and run them with the RPM pegged and a very small step over. Work great. I hogg all the material out first with a standard endmill, then cut the back draft with this cutter about .002" off of the bottom of the hole and cut out with a pocketing routine. I run these here at 30,000 rpm .0005 step over at 30 inches a minute. I have ran them in out small mill at 4500 rpm .0003 step over at 5 inches a minute with some success. Cutters just don't seem to last as long.