Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Finishing a electrode with 4 different surf angles

El Scotthead

Happy Monday everybody!

(Yeah, I know....But I'm hopped up on some nuclear coffee right now tongue.gif )

I put a file called "Scotthead1.mc9" in the MC9 folder on the FTP site. It's an electrode I have to cut, and hold within +/- 0.0002 on the tolerances. I alreay cut some of these and they came out great. But I'm just not satisfied with the program--I probably could have done better, especially with the finishing shallow toolpass.

This isn't important(seeing as how I already have enough electrodes to burn with). I just wanted some other opinions for future reference.

Later dudes smile.gif

scott

My .02

After the perimeter cuts, I probably would have 2D pocketed the flats, then semi fin with a 3D contour, and finish with the same. That would call for a smaller bull nose radius than you had, but you weren't going down to the .01 R that is there, so I don't know how critical that is to you. Then if the .01 R that is an "inside fillet" I would do leftover with the 1/32 or however small you are going.

+1 betts,

you just made me realize that I screwed up when I put that file on the FTP. The stock to leave on all finishing passes should be -0.0100. I left all toolpasses 0.010 heavy so I could check geometry and surface finish. Must not have resaved after posting and running. bonk.gif

The "outside 0.010 fillet"(at the top of the trode) will go to a sharp corner and the "inside fillet" will become a 0.0200 radius. Both are critical. I should note that the bull with a 0.030 corner is the smallest corner radius bull cutter I have available right now--and this was a quick turn job. I couldn't wait while a more suitable cutter was ordered.

Thanks for the input, though. I'll give your methods a try and see how they come out.

scott cheers.gif