Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Thread Milling Questions????

connormac

I have programed both of the ways that ya'll have suggested in previous post.

I used thread mill cycle, how do I make more than 1 pass.

I also used Code-breakers method of creating a helix. I can make multi passes, but how high can I set the Incremental angle to before I start having problems. also I think I want to start below the part.( I have a .300 pocket below the part for clearence) Do I set my bottom point at -.176 which would be 3 threads below my .089" part. Then create a helix at -.176 with 4 rounds??

I am doing a M55 x .75 thread in .089 alum. matl.

Sorry so long I'm just trying learn to do this correctly

Thanks for all the help in advance biggrin.gif

If I understand your question correctly.

To get a threadmill to make 1 pass make sure you set your active teeth to enough teeth for the depth of your hole.

.75 thread X .176 deep

pitch = .02952

.176 / .02952 = 5.962 total threads

you would need to set your active teeth to 6 and make sure you have the flute length to do it in 1 pass.

HTH

quote:

I used thread mill cycle, how do I make more than 1 pass.

I draw the minor diameter and pick the center for my point. Set one for active teeth. Set allowance(overcut to 0.0. That way the first pass just barely touches(call me chicken). Copy operation, and set allowance(overcut) to .010(this will cut .005/side out) or whatever depth you want the second pass and so on. I cut lots of unscrewing cores for plastic molds. Kinda a pain when milling a hardened core with lots of passes but it works good.