Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Question about preparing geometry

I have posted a file on the FTP named JMP_HOUSING.MC9

I am curious how you might go about approaching the machining of these slots. I spent the day Friday at work just getting a swarfing tool path to cut this and the question arose from my boss how much easier would this have been to do in MC.

IN UG I had to extract the faces, split, trim and join together and then build a bottom face to use as a drive surface. It appears my option for doing it otherwise is a long drawn out process called sequential mill "old school point to point"

Is the MC approach to such things a little easier?

That is a big arse file sir. Might Zip that for others to be able to download easier. I am cruching stuff now trying to catch up some work at home and see what I think. Most times if you have a surface all you need is a wireframe and can make a 5 axis swarf or 5 axis ucrve toolpath. I might soemtimes create tool axis lines but if you got a soild or surfaces should be in like flin but depeneds on the part, the machines and the set-up as to what is going ot yeild the best results. I will let you know as soon as I can.

HTH

Thanks Ron,

Hope your feeling better cheers.gif

I did go ahead and replace that with a zipped version, it's about half the size.

I'm just hoping, that after Fridays debaucle and the ensuing conversation I had, that I can finally pursuade them that MC is and was the way to go. I think they are finally starting to see the forest thru the trees.

If it breaks my way, then instead of paying almost 10k to upgrade our seat of NX to 4th and 5th axis contouring we can stop where we are at there and redirect our focus back to MC.

I hope I hope I hope

Thanks Again

John,

quote:

I spent the day Friday at work just getting a swarfing tool path to cut this

eek.gif

I agree with Jay. Although I may not have used a Swarf toolpath as he did, essentially the resulting toolpath would take a couple minutes to set up and process. I'm thinking a 4-axis Rotary or 5-axis Curve with 4-axis output would also accomplish the slot cuts very easily. The edge curves are easy to generate and then it's just picking the toolpath and chaining the geometry correctly. Call us if you ever need more convincing power for your bosses. Also, if you're going to upgrade to Mill 3, I strongly suggest doing it before Mcam X is released. Our sales guy Doug, can set up a demo or write a quote for you. Sorry you had such difficulty on Friday. Don't hesitate to call us or e-mail me the file if you ever come across something like this again. HTH cheers.gif

Thanks Jay,

After I pointed out the difference, we are now back at the point where we are re-evualating out stake in NX. We have a quote coming in from our reseller, S4A and after some discussion and a justification and finally, some cost comparison our upgrading our MC seat as compared to upgrading or NX seat. I am hopeful that the MC upgrade will be done.

-------------------------------------------------

Ron,

Thanks for the good advice, yes, Peter and the entire crew at S4A are a great resource.

-------------------------------------------------

Peter,

I spoke to Doug earlier today and a quote is in the works.