Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

OT; fines floating in coolant and new mori update

Bob_Looney

I have never seen this before. I have fines going thru the screens on this brand new rattle trap mori nv5000 and they float to the top of the coolant, eventually getting sucked up and messing up my coolant nozzle ports.

Is the coolant causing the fines to float? I had to switch from trim e206 to a trim vhp because of foaming. I am wondering what you nv5000 guys do about these fines.

OH yea, every piece of sheet metal on this thing that has screws in it rattles like a two cent beer can. i had to remove the metal from around the spindle casting and add weather stripping to get most of it to stop.

I am seeing 12% to 25% decrease in cycle time with no changes to the program and no pallet, just load and go. I just ran a gear case half and cut the cycle time from 80 to 30 minutes when I crancked her up a little.

The guts of the mori are solid but the sheet metal really sucks.

bob

Wow Bob, have to say I have not seen the problems you are seeing with the sheet metal. We have had no problems there at all.

Did the guys who install in use any sealant on the metal?

Now on the screens, we have had the problem you are seeing. Seems like within a couple of weeks to a month our coolant ports are getting clogged up. The systems we have have 2 filters, we use a coarse one on the first stage and on the second stage we use a finer filter. We change the 2nd one out as needed and "so far" haven't seen a recurrance of the problem.

Talk to your Mori dealer, see if you also have to 2 filter setup. This is what theyt recommended for us.

HTH

No problems with the sheet metal here. Everyone's pencil holders in the office area used to rattle when I fired up the spindle, but not since we put the Mori on top of a 12" concrete slab.

The fine is a problem. When I find the time I am going to put some pantyhose to work and make a filter and place it where the coolant goes back to the tank.

I f your cycle times are long, make sure you're not posting out using "G05P10000" on your post. I use that only to produce fine finishes in mold detail and electrodes.

I don't knnow where the fines are coming from, I'm running the same programs as before. I made a filter to go between the 2 screen boxes but I think I will change the filter foam I used and cut one of the 100 micron filter bags that came with my zebra coelescer and use that. Do pantyhose work for a filter media?

sheet metal: I got up above the toolchanger and tapped the grey sheet metal that is bolted to the spindle casting, good gravey, It sounded like they forgot the screws but it was bolted down tight. Just cheap, thin metal "coffee canning". EVERY piece that is bolted down or together rattles.

Hey Bob, our gear shapers make a lot of fines and we use bag filters on the cutting oil for those; I'll try to get the name from our foreman to help you out.

You could also try running the coolant over a couple of strong magnets to pull out the fines assuming you're running magnetic materials.

C

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I've been putting inline Bag Filters lately to stop this. Costs about $500 USD but WELL worth the investment. We use the same filter as Cool Jet.

HTH

Dave: the fines are small chip granuals, feels and looks kinda like beach sand and it's aluminum and floats in clumps on top of the coolant.

James, how do you hook up the inlet into the filter setup? I assume it draws direct out of the tank?

Stylin: cycle time is not a problem, the cnc is faster than greased owl @$%^. Really notice the speed increase in drilling. the accceleration between holes that are close together is really something to see.

Hello

dave:the fines are small chip granuals, feels and looks kinda like beach sand and it's aluminum and floats in clumps on top of the coolant.

James: how do you hook up the inlet into the filter setup? I assume it draws direct out of the tank?

Stylin: cycle time is not a problem, the cnc is faster than greased owl @$%^. Really notice the speed increase in drilling. the accceleration between holes that are close together is really something to see.

Bob, as long as the pump has the nuts to overcome the additional restriction you can plumb a filter cannister into the outlet side between the pump and the main coolant line feeding the machine. Depending on how fine your particles actually are you may need 2 in series with decreasing mesh size. If you look at a Chip Blaster or similar Thru-Spindle-Coolant setup you'll see what I'm talking about

C

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Canister to outlet side. We monitor the pressure on the pre-filter and post filter sides. When they are not equal (within a few PSI) we change the filter. Have NOT had a problem since going this route.