Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Isolate depths V9

Sandybar

I have a big vacuum tool to build. The vendor gave me a surface model that I cannot convert into a solid. My question is how do I isolate a certain -Z- Level so I can attach a drill cycle to that depth. there mist be 35 different -Z- levels in this model. I would like to change all the differnt -Z- levels and put them on different levels so I can put a drill path on each -Z- level individually. I hope this makes sense.

Oh by the way I still have V9 with X sitting on my desk because our IS department is to busy to install.

This may not help directly, but...

If you want to find out the depth of a flat surface (that is flat, relative to the construction plane you are in), press the Z-depth button in the left hand menu. Now you probably know that you can't just move your cursor over to the surface and select it... but you can if you first press "Endpoint" from the Point Entry menu. Press Endpoint, take your cursor near a corner of your surface and left-click (this is usually easier is the surfaces are shaded - otherwise you have to keep the cursor on the "wireframe" skin of the surface to make sure it's highlighted). Should work most times, unless you are dealing with a funky trimmed surface. This lets you know what depth a surface is at.

Another option I use is to go to Screen, Change Levels, and then go into the Front or Side View - something that lets you see the suface edge on. Then use Window to select the surface and move it to a different level. Then you can use my method above to work out the depth, or just create curves on it and analyze those.

In V9 set z depth to required geometry depth

in chaining options set plane mask on

then select geometry in a window - I have found

this method to be sensitive to .0001 - as

long as the geometry lies in a plane at the

the selected Z depth - it only works for toolpath

selection though not attribute changes