Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

DNC to SWI MX3e

Jim Dean

Has anyone had any experience loading DNC code to an MX3e from MasterCAM. We have been running DNC from the floppy drive in the mill for some time now, but files have reached a size that we need to send diectly from the PC. So far we have had limited success. Any help would be appreciated.

Jim Dean

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Are you actually loking into doing DNC, or are you just needing to upload your files to the control? There is a difference. DNC - Direct Numerical Control, this usually refers to the control running a program as is it being uploaded to the machine's buffer, once executed, it is purged from memory. Is this what you desire to do?

James,

Yes, that's exactly what we want to do. The surface files we are using are too big

to use any other way. So my question really is, what software should I be using to

dowwnload this DNC code? I've tried the files communication option in MasterCAM 7.2, but it does not appear to be working.

SWI web site mentioned that DNC is an option, do you have it on you machine?

With MC7.2, you can also try the CNC Edit from CIMCO Integration (It comes with MC v7).

DNC-Max is a very good DNC software, you can download a demo version from http://www.dncmax.com/

(You can also download CIMCO Edit from there for a mini dnc, the OEM version of CIMCO Edit comes in MC v8).

You have no reason to download the demo version of CIMCO Edit, the demo version has the same functionality as the Mastercam OEM version, and the Mastercam OEM license allows you to install it on a second PC.

You should update CIMCO Edit to the newest version, though. Go to www.cimco-software.com

I do not immediately recoignize the name of your control, if it does not use the ISO/EN RS-232 standard protocol, then the Mastercam OEM and demo versions may not work for you. You should then contact your local Mastercam reseller.

Jim, speaking as someone who has neither enough CNC or MC experience, I am very impressed (relieved?) with how well Cimco Edit 4.20 in V8.1.1 sends to our 15 yr. old Mazak M2. At the PC end sending is the same whether downloading the whole program or using DNC for a program that's too big for the machine memory. We just have to select either download or DNC at the machine and the machine and the PC just sort it out. BTW, our Mazak trainer/adviser/servicer/problem solver/great guy calls DNC "drip feeding"!

Hugh.

ProtoTrac MX3's will Run DNC. THe Kit from SWI costs about $1000. US. It is a hardware lock (hasp) and software driver for the controller.

The CimcoEdit software that comes bundled with Mastercam interfaces very well with the Prototrac Controller. Whether you run it DNC (drip feed) or just as a loader to the Controller memory. My colleague in the other part of our building runs this set-up. He just got back from Oktoberfest in Germany so I'm not sure that he's ready to talk yet.....but I'll ask his opinion.

my.02

hth

-Keith