Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tooling University

somename75

We have about 20 CNC operators that have vary widely in their skill levels. We run 24/7 so its difficult to get them all in the same place for training. I have been kicking around the idea of having them take some classes that Tooling university offers. I was hoping that maybe some of you guys had used them in the past and had some feedback on your experience with them.

Thanks

Spend $100,000 on 20 seats and computers, turn them all lose and see what happens.

Yeah, right.

Usually you can get your reseller to come in and put on some sort of formal training seminar. With the possibility of selling a bunch more seats, which you will probably need depending on how many of this group are higher end toolmakers, they will be happy to come in for a fair price. Sometimes this can be negotiated when you purchase extra seats. Its a lot cheaper and you'll hear a lot less bitching if these guys dont have to leave town for a class and it doesn't upset their daily routine.

Later cheers.gif

quote:

Horse sense is a good judgement which keeps horses from betting on people. - W.C. Fields

The guys that we have out on the shop floor do not program anything, they only make small edits at the control. I need get these guys more basic type of training, like shop math level stuff. Quite a few of them have never worked in a machine shop of any type before, so It is really difficult to get them all up to the same level. I have had our tooling suppliers come in and give lessons on tool wear, and that worked ok. Thanks for the suggestions

somename,

Why not just setup your own little classes in house ? Small groups of them (4-5) from basic to advanced. Take each group and put them thru the paces as it applies to each group. Basic people get the ground up help and the Advanced people get the higher end fine points. Cover everything you think they need in your shop.

e.g.

What indicators and calipers and micrometers are

What hand tools and allen wrenches are.

How to use and read them.

How to setup Fixtures,Vises,Jaws.

How to setup tools in holders and check runout.

How to load programs and edit them if needed.

How to do In-process inspection.

And then have tests in the shop.

It's fun to watch their eyes light up when "IT" clicks. cool.gif Not to mention how good u feel.

HTH

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. We have tried small classes with the guys before, but its difficult to keep it an ongoing thing because of the different shifts. I am with you chris about tying it to some kind of bonus, maybe a giftcard for every class passed with a B or better. Thanks again for all your help