Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

multipler heads

gmenzies

we are looking at purchasing a multipler

attachment for or cnc machine . there appears to be alot of choices on the market.

preferably we would like a mechanical one that is either loaded with a tool changer

or loaded by hand.

i have only been able to talk to sales guys.

that say yes we do sell them. but thats as far as it goes.

I would like to get some feed back on actual

users.

the only comment I have heard is max for mechanical is 20,000 rpm. also some models have a vibration issue.

any comments will be appreciated. smile.gif

everything from tool steel/ alluminium/copper/

engraving.

we do alot of injection and blow molds.

we have a job in couple of weeks that requires

hard mill 50 rc. depth of cuts will be primarily finish (3d-0.010") of a complex parting line.

allot of times when i calculate the speeds and feeds for a particular tool . I get 12000

and 15000 recommended for that grade of coating. we are hoping to take advantage

of the increased feed rates for finish passes.

I have used "speeder heads" for several applications in the past. I have used Precise electrical heads with 40,000 rpm. These heads have to be loaded manually in the spindle and have about 8" gage length without a tool.

I've also have used Sheppard Big geared heads with 20,000 max rpm. These heads are compact and can be changed using the ATC (CAT 40).

I've used Mitzougchi(spelling?), distributed by Technara, geared head with a 16,000 max rpm. I have changed this head in the ATC (CAT 50) but it is heavy (I'm to lazy to weigh it).

All the heads were used to finish profile in aluminum with a max 1/4" endmill, rigidity could be an issue. The heads need regular rebuild according to how many hours they are running, I purchased 2 of each ($$) for swapping during rebuild. I have had trouble with coolant contamination inside the units, I feel the bearing seal design makes using flood coolant tricky.

These heads are now sitting on a shelf, have not used them in about 5 years, may be the new ones are better now. They were a headache to use in production and it goes with out saying they "can't take a hit". Yes, it's happened. I would look very carefully before making the purchase, they sound good, but in my experience, they are not all they're cracked up to be. Maybe I can make you a deal on some used ones??

[email protected]