Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

silly Icon question

JAMMAN

Hi

You can attach an icon or hot key to most commands. The quick way to check is F10 - If its listed there then it can be assigned. And as you will See File> Convert > DXF is in the list.

Use Screen > Config > Toolbar/Keys Then in your list of assignments scroll down to File >Convert>DXF Then add the current Assignment and select a desired ketstroke or B# for Icon Buttons.

Hope this helps

Regards

Caledonian_Karl

Thanks for the reply, Karl- have you tried assigning an icon to file-convert-dxf? It assigns a spot for the function, but there is no icon. Just a blank space with the position number. It works still, but what do I tell my employees-"just click on the 24 icon" Kinda petty, eh?

Jim

Hi Jamman

Its pretty easy to make your own BMP Files to use with your icons. EG: If you have solids Create some cool looking Solids that represent "DXF" use the Create surface from solids. Then use the Screen> Surf Display> Studio> (omly works with surfaces)

Play with settings to achieve best results. Then Save as DXF.BMP in your mcam8commonicons directory. Go back to mastercam and you should see the icon in the toolbar. Paging the icon bar over and back may be required to refresh the icon Bar.

Some points to lookout for are the Bit Map has to match the name in the mill8.cfg file and in some cases it worth checking what name has been allocated. You could put your own name in the cfg file, but I find it less work later in if you have to renew the config file then the default names are still in good order and so your new icons still work. Also Remember the icons are pretty small so make the letters Big and fit screen before creating the Icon. A light grey or Blue (3) works well for the back ground.

Another note on icons is the Verisurf Guys created some very cool and refreshing icons install their product even as demo and check out the cool icons.

Hope this Helps

Caledonian_Karl

You can also make your own icon by modifiying an existing icon (.bmp) in a windows paint program and save it to the new name. However this new name must be assigned in mill.cfg file in the button assignment section.

ex.

2323. (B23) assignment? plot

for screen plot. And your Icon file is called Plot.bmp

Andy

Bingo! Thats what I was looking for! I just named the icon I wanted to assign to dxf "dxf.bmp" and it appeared in slot 24 previously only a shortcut to dxf with a red 24 in it.I do appreciate all the replies, I was having a hard time conveying my question. I made a set of custom icons back when 7 came out, but a hard drive crash and a lack of proper backup proceedure wiped them out.

Now in my spare time I bug people on this forum..........

Jim